Caution stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

We have 1600 amp new service its only load is the photovoltaic ground mount 1300 amps back feed for a dairy farm, we have 46 SE inverters with two conduits coming out of each inverter, we also have 92 j boxes with two conduits coming out of each jay box, Less then 3' of exposed conduit before it enters ground, do I really need to put 138 coution solar circuit stickers on each of those stub ups, I looked in 690 I cannot find anything thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
I would say yes, you need the stickers. Don't want the cows trying to tap out of those boxes for a regular AC load.
And they will do it.:cool:

Once had a feed yard of Holsteins where someone else put in the ground hand hole boxes to splice lines for pole lights in the yards. They were outside the pens, but still close enough they reached through the fence and managed to get the cover off and chewed up conductors and termination devices. During daylight the conductors were not energized so no cows got electrocuted on this one.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
And they will do it.:cool:

Once had a feed yard of Holsteins where someone else put in the ground hand hole boxes to splice lines for pole lights in the yards. They were outside the pens, but still close enough they reached through the fence and managed to get the cover off and chewed up conductors and termination devices. During daylight the conductors were not energized so no cows got electrocuted on this one.

Back in my early days of PV design my company (not the one I am with now) installed a sizeable unfenced ground mounted system on a ranch where cattle roamed freely. Cattle apparently like to scratch their butts on PV arrays. It's not good for the arrays.

kwired

Electron manager
Back in my early days of PV design my company (not the one I am with now) installed a sizeable unfenced ground mounted system on a ranch where cattle roamed freely. Cattle apparently like to scratch their butts on PV arrays. It's not good for the arrays.
They rub against anything. Seen cattle feed yards with lighting on wood poles, after enough time they can look like a 4-5 foot tall beaver was gnawing on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.