Sub Contractor for Turner Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

Gloves will be the standard soon enough.

The company I work for them has started supplying and requiring gloves to be worn.

It comes right down to money, the cost for laceration that requires a doctors visit is just too high to ignore.

Maybe, although I think the protection benefits from wearing gloves are debatable. Not all gloves protect against laceration, not all job related activities have an inherent danger of laceration involved with them, and using certain work gloves with certain tools can be more dangerous that using that same tool without, as anyone who has ever had a cloth glove get caught on a spinning drill bit can verify.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Maybe, although I think the protection benefits from wearing gloves are debatable. Not all gloves protect against laceration, not all job related activities have an inherent danger of laceration involved with them, and using certain work gloves with certain tools can be more dangerous that using that same tool without, as anyone who has ever had a cloth glove get caught on a spinning drill bit can verify.
I agree with you, but try and work that into the company manual, or have one line......

Gloves are mandatory.

You have 10 to 500 or more people to manage and some data in front of you .........
Now all that is left to decide is what makes the printed edition?

Last edited:
Before I became disabled, the company I worked for gloves were the norm. The rule was you had to have gloves will working and when you were not you had to have a pair in your possession. If not you stood the chance of being written up for a safety violation. The prize for most companies is the OSHA VPP acalade. So expect a lot more new safety requirements to come out. :happyyes:

Gloves will be the standard soon enough.

The company I work for them has started supplying and requiring gloves to be worn.

It comes right down to money, the cost for laceration that requires a doctors visit is just too high to ignore.

iwire

Staff member
Maybe, although I think the protection benefits from wearing gloves are debatable.

I would say it really is not debatable. With gloves you are more protected then without.

Not all gloves protect against laceration, not all job related activities have an inherent danger of laceration involved with them, and using certain work gloves with certain tools can be more dangerous that using that same tool without, as anyone who has ever had a cloth glove get caught on a spinning drill bit can verify.

Well they don't supply us with tasseled gloves so that spinning drill thing is not much of a problem. :D. There is always the rare case were safety equipment does more harm than good. But if your a money guy ya gotta go with the statistics.

For us the most common cause of lacerations came from handling sheet metal light fixtures, you know troughers and strip lighting.

PetrosA

I would say it really is not debatable. With gloves you are more protected then without.

Well they don't supply us with tasseled gloves so that spinning drill thing is not much of a problem. :D. There is always the rare case were safety equipment does more harm than good. But if your a money guy ya gotta go with the statistics.

For us the most common cause of lacerations came from handling sheet metal light fixtures, you know troughers and strip lighting.

I would say that if someone has access to statistics, it would be debatable and the fact that those companies accept fingerless gloves proves that people realize the rule is silly since it's all about conforming to a rule rather than mitigating a hazard. Without statistics, we can only conjecture that gloves increase safety in all situations. While that might seem logical, it may not be. I wasn't wearing tasseled gloves when my hand got pulled into a SDS bit. I was wearing rubber coated cloth gloves and it was the rubber coating that snagged on the side of the bit. Leather gloves wouldn't have snagged on the bit, but they would have lowered my dexterity. There are trades-offs to many safety measures you take.

It's all about using adequate protection. Rubber liners and leather outers really reduce dexterity, but for hooking up a service hot the benefits outweigh the discomfort and slower working pace. For working with sheet metal products, heavy cloth or light leather or even fingerless gloves might be appropriate. For using a rotary hammer, there isn't really any safety reason to use gloves, so their use would be debatable. For installing devices, gloves might lower your dexterity to the point where the work becomes almost impossible. Fingerless gloves would offer you dexterity, but what protection do they offer?

Gloves, like any other product, can be had with safety ratings. Not all gloves have them, because not all gloves are for safety. A hazard has to be identified before you can offer a rating, then a product needs to be tested to measure whether it protects against that hazard. Any company that issues a blanket requirement to wear gloves has omitted that stage of performing an analysis, identifying a hazard and specifying a protection level to mitigate that hazard. It's no different than a rule that states that all males must wear protective cups on the job site. It's not only lazy, it's sloppy safety management.

wtucker

No one would get a job if they actually bid for all of the stupidity that these guys can think up. OSHA has a restrictive set of work rules that these contractors revise and come up with their own more restrictive stuff. :cool:

It's the Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules. If you don't want their gold, go work for someone else. It's that simple. The alternative is to breach their contract and either get back-charged a fine or, as some GC's and CM's do, let them hire somebody else to do the job and back-charge you for their cost, at T&M rates. Clearly, the original poster's boss has figured out a way to comply with Turner's rules and still make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.