Health concerns involving pvc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adamjamma View Post
    I have bent lots of PVC. I also melt plastics in the back yard. I wear a mask when melting it but even with my asthma have never felt the need to wear a mask when using the glues or cutting it or bending it... only when melting it.
    But, I am old school and used to make tin soldiers and used tire weights to do it, using a sheet of asbestos as a cover for the melting pot...
    Yeah I figured exposure to it had a minimal impact was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by tkb View Post
      I have never installed PVC and had a cloud of black smoke.
      You obviously don’t know how to bend PVC.
      You should get a cushy job and leave this to the men.
      I'm glad this forum is full of natural born professional like u that have never burned a PVC pipe with a torch. It takes a split second of not moving the heat. I've seen master electricians do it. But I'm glad we have talent like u on this forum that's a cut above the rest. Thanks for your helpful feedback man.

Comment

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
        PVC contains chlorine. Burning it forms a wide variety of toxins including phosgene and dioxins. (key components of DDT and Agent Orange)

The volatile organic solvents in PVC cement cause liver damage over time, in addition to the central-nervous-system effects you notice the same day.

There are OSHA standards for exposure to hazards in the workplace, but they're not worth the paper they're printed on if nobody reads and observes them.

Ok thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by LouisianaApprentice View Post
          I'm sorry to hear about your condition and hope u get better. My boss is not in the least concerned about msds or safety as he is the bottom line. Unfortunately that is the way everyone is here. Good luck and thanks for the insight.
          To be compliant with OSHA you must have access to msds of about anything imaginable you may be around, if your boss doesn't want to cooperate, you have options, being a whistleblower also has consequences though, so think about how you want to deal with it.

My concern was the PVC smoke after heating or fumes given off from heating it and the fumes from the cement. I didn't know asking a question about whether it would impact my health over the long run made me a pansy and that I should find another line of work. I want to live a healthy life not be deaf, asthmatic, and carcinogenic by the time I'm in my 40s 20 years from retirement. So finding ways to minimize risks is something I'm interested in. You seem the type of guy to make fun of someone for wearing safety glasses or ear plugs then complain about your hearing or getting shavings in your eye.
          Why are you heating PVC with a torch? That is one of easiest ways of burning it when heating. I also bet instructions on the can of cement say to use in well ventilated area or something like that.

Jraef is not the kind of guy to tell you not to follow safety standards and if he were your supervisor would likely be fairly strict on enforcing safety compliance I would guess.

PVC is all around you, not just in electrical products either. AFAIK burning it is the the worst hazard associated with it though.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
            To be compliant with OSHA you must have access to msds of about anything imaginable you may be around, if your boss doesn't want to cooperate, you have options, being a whistleblower also has consequences though, so think about how you want to deal with it.

Why are you heating PVC with a torch? That is one of easiest ways of burning it when heating. I also bet instructions on the can of cement say to use in well ventilated area or something like that.

Jraef is not the kind of guy to tell you not to follow safety standards and if he were your supervisor would likely be fairly strict on enforcing safety compliance I would guess.

PVC is all around you, not just in electrical products either. AFAIK burning it is the the worst hazard associated with it though.
            We always used a torch at work because most of the times we are running it there's no power on the job site yet. We have the greenlee heaters for big pipe something like that we get a generator or plug in at the temporary. But it's too time consuming. With a torch u can turn it to right before the gas shuts off and have an invisible flame that works okay but everyone burns it every once in a while.

Comment

We always used a torch at work because most of the times we are running it there's no power on the job site yet. We have the greenlee heaters for big pipe something like that we get a generator or plug in at the temporary. But it's too time consuming. With a torch u can turn it to right before the gas shuts off and have an invisible flame that works okay but everyone burns it every once in a while.
              I use a propane radiant heater - can still burn the pipe but a torch directs too much heat to too small of an area and is too easy to burn the pipe. Even the Greenlee heaters can burn the pipe if you aren't paying close enough attention though.
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                I use a propane radiant heater - can still burn the pipe but a torch directs too much heat to too small of an area and is too easy to burn the pipe. Even the Greenlee heaters can burn the pipe if you aren't paying close enough attention though.

That's a good idea thanks.

Comment

Nothing to worry about as your more likely to bein a car wreck from some texter.
                  Worked on a 9 story parking garage and one of the guys start yelling for help, he had pvc glue drip into his eye. First we put the safety glasses on that he had hanging around his neck and rushed him to the hospital next door. He was ok.

And you don't want to know all the unsafe stuff we old guys did when we were young dumb and full of...

Comment

Working...
                  X