staple guns, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
those staple guns made for romex, coax, etc...
they are advertised as being ul listed for the purpose....
anybody here have opinions
on them or use them?

here's one that my wholesale house sells... acme model 75a staple gun....
as i grew up watching roadrunner and while e. coyote, anything make by the
acme company i have trouble taking seriously.... :D

it's listed as UL approved for the following installations....

NM Building Wire - Use UL Listed staples -
14/2, 14/3, 12/2, 12/3, 10/3, Twin 14/2 & 12/2, & 14/2 with 14/3

who uses them? any problems with inspectors not liking them?

model_25a_lg.jpg

480sparky

Ive had an Arrow T75 for years now.

v49423.001

I only use it for single NMs, or a pair of 14-2s and no more. I still run across inspectors that need educated on their use because they've never seen them before. As long as the staples are listed for NM and installed according to the directions on the back of the box, it's legal. I always have an empty box on site for the inspector to look at.

22807_300.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've used a T-18 and a T-25 forever. The T-25 is great for coax and the T-18 is good for phone and T-stat wiring.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've also got a T25 for weenie wire as well. I just use different length staples for RG6 and Cat5

Did you ever have a problem using a staple gun for CAT5? From what I've read it's not a good idea, though I have done it by leaving the staples a little loose. ;)

ultramegabob

I dont wire new homes, but back when i worked for a contractor that did, our company owner bought a bunch of staple guns for everyone to use, alot of the guys thought they were neater than sliced bread at first, but gradually everyone quit using them, I never did care much for them myself. the ones we used had plastic insulators on the staples, im not sure what brand they were. I have used differnt staple guns for phone wire and coax, I liked how they worked better than with NM, I guess the NM is just too heavy or stiff to mess with the stapler (we only used 12 NM or larger). It may also be what you start off with, its hard to teach some old dogs new tricks:grin:

iaov

I've got a couple of guns similar to the ones pictured. I only use them on single wires too. Usualy requires tapping staples with a hammer to fully seat them, but still can be a big time saver. The staple bodies are plastic and break if you try to use them below about 15 degrees F. When its cold out I keep staples in my pocket and one gun sitting by a heater.:D

wireguru

I've got a couple of guns similar to the ones pictured. I only use them on single wires too. Usualy requires tapping staples with a hammer to fully seat them, but still can be a big time saver. The staple bodies are plastic and break if you try to use them below about 15 degrees F. When its cold out I keep staples in my pocket and one gun sitting by a heater.:D

you shouldnt be running romex at those temps anyways......

Kdog76

I've been using the GB staple gun - it fits 3 different size staples. One for 10/2 romex, one for 12-3 thru 14-2, and a smaller one for cable / tv wire. They work good but (like with any staple gun) you've really got to make sure you've got it lined up good with the wire to avoid shooting a staple through your cable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I still don't get it. Maybe I need to start watching Saturday morning cartoons?
Definitely. Only the old guys here will remember Heckle and Jeckle, Tom Terrific, and Beanie and Cecil.

"Road Runner, the coyote's after you! BEEP-BEEP!
"Road Runner, if he catches you, you're through! BEEP-BEEP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.