Main lug panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Help settle a disagreement. The scenario. A 100 main lug panel. Guy at work swears that you can install a larger size breaker,say a 150amp, and use it as a main. I say no because of the 100amp rating. He says you can because it is the lugs that are rated for 100amp not the buss. Code reference ether way

Buck Parrish

I don't have a code reference.
It is the UL Listing on the side of the panel that you go by. If it says the panel is rated for 100 amps. Then it will require a 100 amp main maximum.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
408.36 Overcurrent Protection. In addition to the requirement
of 408.30, a panelboard shall be protected by an
overcurrent protective device having a rating not greater
than that of the panelboard. This overcurrent protective device
shall be located within or at any point on the supply
side of the panelboard

408.36 Overcurrent Protection. In addition to the requirement
of 408.30, a panelboard shall be protected by an
overcurrent protective device having a rating not greater
than that of the panelboard. This overcurrent protective device
shall be located within or at any point on the supply
side of the panelboard

That is the secondary requirement, one needs to use my section as the primary requirement. ;):grin::cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the feeder to the panel is protected by a 100 amp OCPD does it really matter if the CB in the panel is 150 amps and used a disconnect?

M. D.

If this is a sub panel being fed from a properly sized opd then a 200 amp breaker could be used,.. as it is simply a disconnect... I'm thinking this might be what the guy at work had in mind???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree that it would still have the protection but I don't believe the panel would accept the 150 amp breaker. The panel would not be listed for that use.

ceb58

If this is a sub panel being fed from a properly sized opd then a 200 amp breaker could be used,.. as it is simply a disconnect... I'm thinking this might be what the guy at work had in mind???

I agree with that but this idiot is trying to say you can up the rating of the panel by bypassing the lugs.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I'm going to go with 110.3(B). Bet your idiotic friend can't get any manufacturer to go along with his hair-brained thought patten :D !

Status
Not open for further replies.