What is equivalent to a 12 AWG solid copper conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I was installing some Juno tracks today and there was a sticker placed across the KO of each end feed that said

Use 12 AWG solid copper conductors or equivalent

What is equivalent to a 12 AWG solid copper conductor?

SEO

What did you use 12-2 solid mc? I think that the termination point is what they are talking about and #12 stranded with a stakon rated for 20 amperes would surfice.

iwire

Staff member
A 12 gauge copper stranded conductor

Stranded is equivalent to solid?

Main Entry: equiv?a?lent

Pronunciation: \-lənt\

Function: adjective

1: equal in force, amount, or value ; also : equal in area or volume but not superposable <a square equivalent to a triangle>

2 a: like in signification or import b: having logical equivalence <equivalent statements>

3: corresponding or virtually identical especially in effect or function

4 obsolete : equal in might or authority

5: having the same chemical combining capacity <equivalent quantities of two elements>

6 a: having the same solution set <equivalent equations>b: capable of being placed in one-to-one correspondence <equivalent sets> c: related by an equivalence relation

nakulak

"use 12 awg copper or equivalent" = "use of anything but 12awg or equivalent violates the listing instructions of this luminaire" ?

Rick Christopherson

Lots of misfires in this old cows brain!!!!
Ya know, if I knew the cow was going to show up, I would have referenced 8,500 kcmil of cow flesh instead, specifically, pink-nosed cow. :D Now where did I put that bag of charcoal?
bbq2.gif

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Stranded is equivalent to solid?
Yes, by virtue of ?3. corresponding . . . identical . . . in . . . function.?

I think it is a simple way for the manufacturer to protect itself. Toss in a few extra words to prevent any trouble from bouncing back their way.

iwire

Staff member

Yes, by virtue of ?3. corresponding . . . identical . . . in . . . function.?

I think it is a simple way for the manufacturer to protect itself. Toss in a few extra words to prevent any trouble from bouncing back their way.

The terminals on the item will not accept stranded as far as I can tell.

There is no way to wrap the conductors around the screw, the conductor just sits under one side of the screw while a small lip holds it from popping out the side.

One terminal the stranded would be pulled into the screw but the other terminal would push the stranded out.

Status
Not open for further replies.