Ground Rod making NOISE...yes Noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Sounds like they scared you enough. There is a difference between could not and would not and rather not.

'Can not' is often just a way of saying it's so expensive you don't even want to consider it.:D

A contractor hit a high pressure gas main here where I live and it took an hour to get it shut down.

CONSEQUENCES
On December 9, 1995, at approximately 1:20 p.m. a 40-cm (16-inch) natural gas main was
ruptured and within 10 minutes an evacuation was initiated. There was one reported injury (to
the bulldozer operator) and no fatalities associated with the incident. Approximately 40,000
people were evacuated within a one-mile radius.

I don't recall the costs to the company that hit the line.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
CONSEQUENCES
On December 9, 1995, at approximately 1:20 p.m. a 40-cm (16-inch) natural gas main was
ruptured and within 10 minutes an evacuation was initiated. There was one reported injury (to
the bulldozer operator) and no fatalities associated with the incident. Approximately 40,000
people were evacuated within a one-mile radius.

Holy Cow, that's a lot of people in a small space! Was he driving a ground rod in the middle of a packed football stadium or what?:D

iwire

Staff member
Holy Cow, that's a lot of people in a small space! Was he driving a ground rod in the middle of a packed football stadium or what?:D

Driving a buldozer near a large mall at Christmas time. :D

The spot he hit the pipe is about 2.25 miles from my home but that was outside the evacuation area.

General
The town of North Attleboro, Massachusetts, is an affluent suburban community. It has a population of approximately 27,000 people and covers an area of
49.3 km2 (19 mi2). Its main economic base is retail, which attracts a large number of nonresidents
to area stores and strip malls. On December 9, 2003, approximately 40,000 people
were evacuated from an 8.1 km2 (3.14 mi2) area after a natural gas main was ruptured.
Approximately 25,000 people were evacuated from Emerald Square Mall and 15,000 people
were evacuated from the surrounding strip malls and from the several hundred nearby homes.
The area was highly congested at the time of the evacuation. It is difficult to determine precisely
what percentage of the community was evacuated, since many of the evacuees from the mall
were not residents of the area. It is estimated that approximately one-quarter of the residents
were evacuated. However, as much as one-half of the people present in the community at the
time, including both visitors and residents, were evacuated. The evacuation area was primarily
commercial/retail. Ethnicity, nationality, and age were not important factors in the evacuation.
The town is located approximately 40 to 48 km (25 to 30 mi) from a commercial nuclear power
plant, the Pilgrim 1 Boiling Water Reactor at the Energy Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth,
Massachusetts.

THREAT CONDITIONS
The hazard that led to this evacuation was the rupture of a 40-cm (16-in) natural gas pipeline
belonging to Algonguin Natural Gas. The gas main was struck by a bulldozer operator who was
working at a construction site near a Wal-Mart Store. The incident occurred on a cold and
snowy Saturday during the height of the Christmas shopping season. Several eyewitnesses
commented that it sounded like a jet taking off. The incident and the evacuation took place in
the middle of the afternoon. It was cold outside and the roads were wet. The evacuation was
slightly hampered by both the snowstorm and the high level of pedestrian traffic. The local
newspaper reported that it resembled a war scene.

ohm

A friend of mine was working in a plant that injected the odorant in their natural gas. One day he brought a small bottle of the mercaptans home and placed a few drops on his workbench.

He too caused a whole block to evacuate.

powerslave

A friend of mine was working in a plant that injected the odorant in their natural gas. One day he brought a small bottle of the mercaptans home and placed a few drops on his workbench.

WHY in the world would he do something like that?

Loffgren

re Did you bond the water pipe?

re Did you bond the water pipe?

"Did you bond the water pipe?"

That brought tears to my eyes, thanks!

JacksonburgFarmer

While the local inspector was out the other day....I showed him the ground rod with 3" of a 1 1/2" Copper line shiskabobed onto it if that would be a permitted way to bond the water line.....the look on his face was priceless.....if only I had that on tape...

Okie Sparky

There is more than one use for mercaptan. Suppose you had some and put it on a hot intake manifold on someones vehicle that kept putting fart bombs in your new truck, or suppose that you were to put just a minute amount of this in the cab on a hot Oklahoma day (say of over 100*) they probably couldn't give the vehicle away.:grin: But the gas plant where I work, I couldn't talk the operators into giving me any ethyl-mercaptan. One was almost convinced but he was afraid he would get caught or it would backfire on me.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.