Main Panel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm1470

This is a 60 amp main panel in a house, I am upgrading it to a 100 amp here is the problem they put the water softener right in front of the main pnael. Does this violate 110.26, I think it does, my plan is to put a service disconnenct on the outside and put a subpanel on another wall most of the wiring will be long enough to reach the subpanel.

View attachment 3300

TOOL_5150

yeah anything in the 3' zone is not to code. I would remove the panel, install a j-box and put the panel where it would not be obstructed. If any of the HR's make it to the new panel location its a bonus.

~Matt

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is in New Jersey you can probably install the panel right back in the same location. Personally I would find a way to move it to meet the requirements of Article 110 but under the NJ rehab code it can probably stay where it is.

SEO

If this is in New Jersey you can probably install the panel right back in the same location. Personally I would find a way to move it to meet the requirements of Article 110 but under the NJ rehab code it can probably stay where it is.

The NJ rehab code allows you to install a new panel in violation? I would think that if a problem ever ocurred that the insurance investigators would have other thoughts.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NJ rehab code allows you to install a new panel in violation? I would think that if a problem ever ocurred that the insurance investigators would have other thoughts.

The NJ Rehab Code allows you to improve an installation and make it safer even when the new installation does not comply with the current code. That's the law in NJ even if an insurance investigator or inspector doesn't like it their opinion doesn't matter. As I said before I would move it to a compliant location but it likely not required under the Rehab Code.

LawnGuyLandSparky

This is a 60 amp main panel in a house, I am upgrading it to a 100 amp here is the problem they put the water softener right in front of the main pnael. Does this violate 110.26, I think it does, my plan is to put a service disconnenct on the outside and put a subpanel on another wall most of the wiring will be long enough to reach the subpanel.

View attachment 3300

Put your new panel in. It's still preexisting nonconforming.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Put your new panel in. It's still preexisting nonconforming.

I agree with Bob the panel is preexisting until you take it out ( even if it is only for 30 minutes ) the new panel is no longer an "existing installation" it is a "New installation" and would need to meet all the requirements of the current code. Now if you were adding a new circuit out of the old panel I don't think most AHJ's would have issue with it, but you never know.

slick 50

Would there be a violation if I was to mount new 100 amp panel in this exact location? The gas line is off to the left above panel and there is a water line that runs on the right side.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am trying to learn how to put pictures on here.
When you hit the POST REPLY button, look for a button (below the place where you type the text of your reply) called "manage attachments." That will give you a pop up box that will allow you to upload a photo from your computer.

NYS has an 'Existing building code', whose intent is similar to NJ's Rehab code.

It does not permit one to install a violation during alterations. I would be very surprised if the NJ Rehab code allows violations to be installed.

This is not even a close call.
Relocate the panel as you mentioned, and move on to the next job.

jm1470

I took a closer look at the picture.

That installation is a mess, much more there to worry about than just the hotwater heater.

Good luck!

I went back today to make a material list I am going to relocate the panel to another wall. The funny thing is the approval notice on the panel is dated 3 years ago. :-?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

bgeorge

Very true. I recently had to do 2 multi-family dwellings in Dunellen NJ, and the rehab code saved us a lot of time and money. You do have to be very carefull when applying the rehab code though....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.