Pre-employment Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_a_wolfe

In an effort to weed out those Industrial Electricians that are better resume writers than electricians, we need to do some pre-employment testing. We can devise a test but wonder if we're reinventing the wheel. I'm curious if others have done this. We'd like to get a feel for the troubleshooting/diagnostic skills as well as the "book learnin" ability.
Thanx,
Jim

480sparky

I don't have any employees, yet, but when the day comes, here's the one I'll be using. Feel free to copy/change it as you see fit.
And welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

roger3829

I don't have any employees, yet, but when the day comes, here's the one I'll be using. Feel free to copy/change it as you see fit.
And welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

I would fail the test. I don't know what a "1900" box is???

I see a pancake, 4" rd plastic nail-on, 4" sq, Single gang old work (plastic & metal)

Last edited:

480sparky

I would fail the test. I don't know what a "1900" box is???

I see a pancake, 4" rd plastic nail-on, 4" sq, Single gang old work (plastic & metal)

99% is not a failing grade. In fact, I wouldn't even grade the test. I just would use it to weed out those who say they know this stuff, but really don't. If it's painfully obvious an applicant is clueless on a lot of the stuff, they're not getting hired.

I wouldn't expect a 1st year apprentice could calculate the pole base concrete question, but I sure would demand it from a 10-year JW. On the same token, I don't care if you call them madison bars, F-straps, Gem box clips, box supports, or even two men in a canoe... as long as they know what it's for and how to use it.

j_a_wolfe

1900's

1900's

I think it's the 4" square box. 1900 is a slang term probably related to a manufacturer's number from when Jesus was a boy. It's like mini's, romex and Kleenex. Used long enough, they become the generic name. By the way, I printed out the test and left it lying in the Electrician's office. Caused quite a debate and more than a little one-upsmanship amongst the boys. We are an industrial situation so code questions always get debated before someone goes online to get the right answer.
Thanx,
Jim

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
calculate the pole base concrete question, but I sure would demand it from a 10-year JW.

Funny, I've set maybe 5 poles in my entire career, so I'd have to spend a couple of minutes getting formula right for the mud but could get within reason (yes there will be a little extra, but not much:D). One the other hand, I've ran miles of pipe and wire, MC, NM, C1D1 heat trace. Lots of things I can could possibly beat you in, and vice-versa.

It's just a matter of making sure that the peg will fit in the hole...albiet not perfect, but reasonable.

Just like the 1900 box, I knew exactly what it was immediately. Doesn't make me better, just that I've been on the different roads that you have.

480sparky

Funny, I've set maybe 5 poles in my entire career, so I'd have to spend a couple of minutes getting formula right for the mud but could get within reason (yes there will be a little extra, but not much:D). One the other hand, I've ran miles of pipe and wire, MC, NM, C1D1 heat trace. Lots of things I can could possibly beat you in, and vice-versa.

It's just a matter of making sure that the peg will fit in the hole...albiet not perfect, but reasonable.

Just like the 1900 box, I knew exactly what it was immediately. Doesn't make me better, just that I've been on the different roads that you have.

That's the purpose of the test...... to get an idea of how broad an applicant's knowledge is. "1900 box" is more common 'round here than "4-square".

It's been said we're all ignorant, just in different areas. If, like the OP, I was hiring for an industrial mechanic, I'd have some PLC and one-line/ladder diagrams in the mix... something I'm terrible at.

480sparky

So it's a trick question. ;)

Not at all. But what an applicant puts down has a huge impact. I'm not trying to replicate a licensing test. I'm trying to find out if someone who is applying for a job knows enough about the trade to do the job they're applying for.

If they put down 360 degrees, or 4 90s, or equivilant of 360 degrees, or no more than 360 degrees, or no more than the equivilant of 4 90s......... that's good enough for me.

If they put down something like four, or six, or twelve (or 100 feet......), or depends on the raceway type, I get suspicious.

resistance

In an effort to weed out those Industrial Electricians that are better resume writers than electricians, we need to do some pre-employment testing. We can devise a test but wonder if we're reinventing the wheel. I'm curious if others have done this. We'd like to get a feel for the troubleshooting/diagnostic skills as well as the "book learnin" ability.
Thanx,
Jim
I think it's an excellent idea. I actually had a temp service conduct an electrical exam--written by me--before hiring a guy working for them. He did Ok, but he didn't show-up on work day:rolleyes:. "No wonder he's with a temp agency!"

Status
Not open for further replies.