Concealed wall romex splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Kitchen remodel, 2 story house. GC removed the old fur down framing built above the cabinets. Most of the wiring can be reinstalled, some will just have the top plate and install nail plates. However, two runs are boogers.

Seems to me, that I saw some sort of UL splice kit that approved for installing concealed into a wall. Am I imagining this, or has anyone else seen these? If such a critter exists, it would make life MUCH better. :cool:

Why wouldn't the 50 % rule kick in and dictate that be replaced ? I mean it down to the sturcture!

Does your AHJ apply that rule, seems self evident and your the AHJ :grin:

Minuteman

Why wouldn't the 50 % rule kick in and dictate that be replaced ? I mean it down to the sturcture!

Does your AHJ apply that rule, seems self evident and your the AHJ :grin:

Care to quote the chapter and verse of where I can find this 50% rule?

The kitchen was not removed down to the studs. Rather, the "fur down" or "soffit" that was above the kitchen cabinets was all that was removed. Other than the double oven being made larger, there was no change to the cabinets.

hardworkingstiff

I've not done resi work since the '70s, but I just can't fathom actually using these things. I think twisted wire w/wire nuts and heat shrink would be a better install (not talking code, just effectiveness).

cadpoint

Our State status, has a provision relating to Active code construction required based on re-work of, verses space it's applied too... IE a Building Code...not the NEC...

Last edited:

cdolor

Tyco or AMP devices

Tyco or AMP devices

I have used these a couple of times in a pinch. I would rather pull a new wire but that is not always possible. I actually put a metal box with a cover in the wall (conceled) and do this connection inside. It is tight but doable. I just want that extra security. But like I said I have only used these 2 or 3 times.

ohm

I have used these a couple of times in a pinch. I would rather pull a new wire but that is not always possible. I actually put a metal box with a cover in the wall (conceled) and do this connection inside. It is tight but doable. I just want that extra security. But like I said I have only used these 2 or 3 times.

cdolor, I've done the same thing in a pinch. It's illegal but IMO lots safer than open splices in a wall. Maurice

Does this mean we can use wire nuts and a couple of wraps from a roll of 3m 33+ to insulate and not use a box??? If so Ive seen a bunch of that under kitchen cabinets (minus the tape). Hmmm ... wire nuts are not listed as suitable to mechanically splice wires?

Apparently this guy thought it was suitable. This is what I found in the bathroom of my old house when I was doing a full reno. All of the wire nuts were on the outside of the box and there was no ground, in a bathroom!!! Why??? This was an old work box too with clips so it was wired and stuffed into the wall that way. I mean, there was a box there. I can't stand butcher work.

I found so many violations when I gutted the place I was real surprised that there was never a fire or electrocution.

Personally, I would never use one of these splices. That is the reason for sheetrockers, to come in and patch any openings caused by a proper full circuit replacement.

outlet_1.jpg

outlet_2.jpg

emf10

It would surprise me if the intent of the tyco devices is to allow them to be concealed behind a wall by themselves. I would still put it in a jbox and secure the wires.

Apparently this guy thought it was suitable. This is what I found in the bathroom of my old house when I was doing a full reno. All of the wire nuts were on the outside of the box and there was no ground, in a bathroom!!! Why??? This was an old work box too with clips so it was wired and stuffed into the wall that way. I mean, there was a box there. I can't stand butcher work.

I found so many violations when I gutted the place I was real surprised that there was never a fire or electrocution.

I've seen so many hack installs like that it's scary. There was one case where the HO installed NM outside along his aluminum flashing with a single small nail driven through the center of the wire at regular intervals to hold it in place.

Last edited:

realolman

... There was one case where the HO installed NM outside along his aluminum flashing with a single small nail driven through the center of the wire at regular intervals to hold it in place.

When I was young, I rented a house where nm was installed exactly like that.

I guess the guy was a poor electrician... but a good nailer.

glene77is

I searched under - my favorites. :grin: I saved the link to my favorites a while ago.
I have about 3500 links saved in about 200 different folders...which I backup about every two weeks. it saves me a ton of time

Belarge,
Good technique.
I use a Hungarian name convention, with pre-fixes, sub-labels,
ANSI datetime, title/message,
and just throw the urls into a bookmarks "EL" folder .
Simple sorting aligns the URLs in the FireFox browser.
I use a ";" for a delimiter, and can load the URLs into my database for searching.
That proclivity is a personal trait, and worked well through many years of school.

glene77is

Last edited:

iaov

I've never used one also, but another place they might come in handy is during remodeling where a wall is taken out and cables pass through that need to be relocated and you don't have access to one end of the cable or the other. I've been in that situation and putting in a j-box was VERY inconvenient.
I've been in this same spot many times. I'm doing a remodel right now that the HO removed a wall and has a switch box hanging there with no place to go and not enough wire to get it any place. Ideal situation for these connectors but they just look/seem too damn cheesy to not cause problems/fires.

bedford1

From an inspector's point of view:
After reading all of the replies to this initial question I am somewhat concerned no one has note one very important fact about the devices in questions. Take another look at the page that comes up when you click on the link to the equipment page. This device is listed as complying only with Articles 545, 550 and 551. To use these devices for another use could be seen as violating the listing of the component.

ohm

From an inspector's point of view:
After reading all of the replies to this initial question I am somewhat concerned no one has note one very important fact about the devices in questions. Take another look at the page that comes up when you click on the link to the equipment page. This device is listed as complying only with Articles 545, 550 and 551. To use these devices for another use could be seen as violating the listing of the component.

As I've previously stated I don't like the product but it seems legal in all "ordinary locations" per UL AALZ and UL File E57250:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073991589&sequence=1

Status
Not open for further replies.