Inspector Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

Ok, I will be the first to admit I don't wire many new homes, nobody around here wants to pay you a decent wage to do them and I really prefer service, trouble shooting and upgrades because the money is much better and I find it a greater challenge. That being said, I did 2 last year and I am completing the rough on my first of this year.

This home is different than most, it is a single family detached home 1300 SF on a crawl, no garage, 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths and total electric. The owner is building this for rental on the rear of a lot where he has one of the several taverns he owns. The town is located right next to several large refineries and has a population of less than 2000.

Today I had the inspection of the rough-in. Here's how it went in order:

1. The inspector immediately pointed out that I had more than one NM under my staples. He told me that since 2005 the code would not allow more than one NM under a uninsulated staple. He then demonstrated how though the years as the wire moved it would wear through the covering of the romex and cause a fire. I told him that my understanding was that I could have up to 3 romex's under that staple and besides the fact that the bottle of my Gardner Bender MS-450-J 9/16ths Cable Metal Staples said "Uses: Secures 3 conductor, #10 and #12 nm cable" that I would need to rectify this "code" violation.

2. I put the panel in the master bedroom located between a window and the rear corner of the home. I really didn't like doing that but with no basement and no garage I didn't have many options. I had previously met with the POCO and put it where they recommended since this home was located at the end of a overhead run for them and the POA off the overhead service was extremely limited do to trees and other factors. The inspector at this time informed that his town is working under the 2008 NEC which strictly prohibits the panel being located in a bedroom. It was at this time that I asked him that considering the fact that there is no basement or garage where would he put it? He decided that he could live with it where it is at.

It was at this point that I question the fact that this little town was on the 2008 code. The county it's in is still on the '05. It was at this point the he informed me that he was an IE????? ( bunch of initials) certified inspector and that he keep his city on the most current code cycle. I thought "cool" ARC fault in the living room plus bedrooms which I was doing anyway, TR receptacles, I bid it high so I am covered. Luckily I hadn't done a bunch of shared neutrals like I usually do.

3. We head out to the meter socket. Everything good there but the "code" requires that the neutral be identified with white tape at all terminations. I said well good because the neutral doesn't terminate there it just passes through, unbroken. Wrong again, I was informed that because the insulation had been removed that according to the code it is the same as a termination.

I apologize for the long post in advance, but for anyone that took the time to read this I would appreciate any comment you might have. I have never wired a house to the '08 code, in fact I don't even own a copy but I thought I had a decent grasp on what was going on by following this forum as close as I do until today.

I did ask for code references and he told me he had the '08 code on CD and could not provide them to me. I have his email address but I'm sure I will do anything other than what he asks.

I feel way better just venting here.:)

480sparky

........ I have never wired a house to the '08 code, in fact I don't even own a copy but I thought I had a decent grasp on what was going on by following this forum as close as I do until today.

I did ask for code references and he told me he had the '08 code on CD and could not provide them to me. ........:)

That's why you have your own copy available. Hand it to him/her and ask again for a code reference. '

If you do not get a code reference, the inspector should pass it.

ElectricianJeff

That's why you have your own copy available. Hand it to him/her and ask again for a code reference. '

If you do not get a code reference, the inspector should pass it.

Thanks, next time I will. Frankly, I don't think anyone around here, including this small town, is "officially" on '08, but I will be getting a copy of my own just the same.

raider1

Staff member
1. The inspector immediately pointed out that I had more than one NM under my staples. He told me that since 2005 the code would not allow more than one NM under a uninsulated staple. He then demonstrated how though the years as the wire moved it would wear through the covering of the romex and cause a fire. I told him that my understanding was that I could have up to 3 romex's under that staple and besides the fact that the bottle of my Gardner Bender MS-450-J 9/16ths Cable Metal Staples said "Uses: Secures 3 conductor, #10 and #12 nm cable" that I would need to rectify this "code" violation.

There is no NEC limit to the # of NM cables that can be installed under one staple. One could apply 110.3(B) and say that you must use the manufactures installation instructions for the staples, but staples are not required to be listed.

2. I put the panel in the master bedroom located between a window and the rear corner of the home. I really didn't like doing that but with no basement and no garage I didn't have many options. I had previously met with the POCO and put it where they recommended since this home was located at the end of a overhead run for them and the POA off the overhead service was extremely limited do to trees and other factors. The inspector at this time informed that his town is working under the 2008 NEC which strictly prohibits the panel being located in a bedroom. It was at this time that I asked him that considering the fact that there is no basement or garage where would he put it? He decided that he could live with it where it is at.

No such code requirement in the 08 NEC.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
You getting hosed on issues 1 and 2, on number 3 get some white tape it is required even though it passes through.

ElectricianJeff

You getting hosed on issues 1 and 2, on number 3 get some white tape it is required even though it passes through.

Thanks, I already have handled #3 and I've learned something too. Of all the service repairs and upgrades I've done this has never been mentioned on any inspection before.

I'm here to learn....thanks

luckyshadow

Your inspector is "inspecting his opinions" not the nec.

You go by the manufacturers recommendations for the number of cables under a staple.

Panel in the bedroom is perfectly fine (- just not in a closet)

I would require code articles from him - not just accept it

stew

So you are now in the wonderful fraternity of inspector frustration. Nice club. If youve read my long diatribe on the manufactured home service you will see that we are fellow frat bros. So much fun to deal with the folks that write the code on a daily basis. Hard to keep up with tho. I wonder if there is a ceu class for outguess the inspector this week?

emahler

i would have to look up the # of cables, but be advised that there is a difference between 'conductor' and 'cable'....what your staples are saying is that they are good for up to 10/3 NM....

iMuse97

Yes, the number of AHJs that are on '08 is very limited in the Chicagoland area as well. And Indiana has yet to adopt it also. Sorry you've got the inspector after you. If you don't tighten those straps against the romex and they stay in the wood with the recommended number of cables, there is nothing the inspector can say.

That being said, all the places I've worked around here, the standard practice for installation is maximum TWO cables under a staple and always, always leave wiggle room. This is not an inspector-driven standard, but "just the way we do it" standard.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i would have to look up the # of cables, but be advised that there is a difference between 'conductor' and 'cable'....what your staples are saying is that they are good for up to 10/3 NM....

Sounds like they can support 3 conductor-#10 and #12 NM cables since the word conductor is singular.

Secures 3 conductor, #10 and #12 nm cable

ElectricianJeff

Yes, the number of AHJs that are on '08 is very limited in the Chicagoland area as well. And Indiana has yet to adopt it also. Sorry you've got the inspector after you. If you don't tighten those straps against the romex and they stay in the wood with the recommended number of cables, there is nothing the inspector can say.

That being said, all the places I've worked around here, the standard practice for installation is maximum TWO cables under a staple and always, always leave wiggle room. This is not an inspector-driven standard, but "just the way we do it" standard.

I'm 5 hours south of you and in a whole nother world. I thought you guys were strictly emt and thhn up there.

emahler

Sounds like they can support 3 conductor-#10 and #12 NM cables since the word conductor is singular.

Thats the way I read it..............

i take it to mean that the staple is listed for both 10/3 and 12/3 NM..not both at the same time...the singular 'conductor' is the same tense as saying "use a 3 conductor cable for that run"...you wouldn't say "3 conductors cable"....

i also think that that particular staple may not be listed for 14/2 or 14/3....may not even be listed for 12/2 or 10/2....

all that being said, the inspector is wrong...

celtic

On page 148 of this PDF, it says only:
Part # ..........Pkg Qty ...........Conductor
MS-450J....... 450/jar ............14/3, 12/3, 10/3
There is NO indication of multiple cables.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i take it to mean that the staple is listed for both 10/3 and 12/3 NM..not both at the same time...the singular 'conductor' is the same tense as saying "use a 3 conductor cable for that run"...you wouldn't say "3 conductors cable"....

i also think that that particular staple may not be listed for 14/2 or 14/3....may not even be listed for 12/2 or 10/2....

all that being said, the inspector is wrong...

Agreed on all counts. :) Bottom line is that the listing of the staples' ability to support more than one cable is all that required to determine if two cables are compliant under one staple.

200.2(A) Insulation.
The grounded conductor, where insulated,.....

310.2 (A) Insulated. Conductors shall be insulated.
Exception: Where covered or bare conductors are specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Take a look at:
230.22, 230.30

There are other locations, this is generally where we will see the exception to the rule if insulated conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.