Generator interlock kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

And tyeing a lawn mowers safety handle down would defeat it's purpose.

Defeating a safety device can be done to anything, a live panel is supposed to have it's cover on, if someone removed the cover the interlock device is not in place.

Lawsuits are going to happen period.

Roger

Is their a specific warning label that removal of the panel will defeat the interlock? You are adding an after market device when you install an interlock this is not the same as a factory installed safety feature.

lawsuits will happen but you can limit your exposure....period.

peter d

Insurance only will pay to the amount you are insured for if the judgement is larger you are still on the hook as in everything you own.I carry 3 million in liability but I have seen judgements way over that.

The sky is falling..the sky is falling. :roll:

peter d

Spoken like a man who has nothing to lose.

Right. :roll:

The bottom line is that you're worried about what some homeowner will do to the device after the fact. In that case, they can alter any installation after you're gone. Why worry about it?

JWCELECTRIC

Is their a specific warning label that removal of the panel will defeat the interlock? You are adding an after market device when you install an interlock this is not the same as a factory installed safety feature.

There are warning labels that stick on the cover and on the breaker indicating "If cover is removed do not turn breaker on" That I have installed on this applications. Is the homeowner qualified to remove the cover from the panel? There are articles in NEC about qualified personal working on electrical equipment, they are not one of them and that should minimize your exposure.

electricmanscott

Really? Do some research on the Station Night Club fire. :rolleyes:

To the OP. Ignore all the scare BS. These interlock kits are a great way to set up a temp generator in a safe and cost effective manner.

Have your customers get a 6000ish watt generator, install the kit, run some 10/3 romex to an inlet box and make up a cord to connect the generator to the inlet box. Two hours, done. Easy money, happy customer.

JWCELECTRIC

Really? Do some research on the Station Night Club fire. :rolleyes:

To the OP. Ignore all the scare BS. These interlock kits are a great way to set up a temp generator in a safe and cost effective manner.

Have your customers get a 6000ish watt generator, install the kit, run some 10/3 romex to an inlet box and make up a cord to connect the generator to the inlet box. Two hours, done. Easy money, happy customer.

JohnMe,

You could also get one of these (www://generlink.com) they are a automatic transfer switch that fits between the meter socket and the meter. Depends on the local POCO if they are allowed. If the power is out it switches to the receptacle. If power comes back with generator still tied in, it will switch back to normal power and no chance for backfeeding into system. I haven't installed one but looks easy to do. You could but one for $600, charge couple hours of your time and your done.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also, would you guys feel comfortable using a 10/3 romex to feed the outside power inlet box?[/i]As long as it's protected, sure. I've done it plenty of times. If the genny's output breaker is 30a or less, you're golden.

My only concern is having the customer try to run all kinds of loads and the 10/3 will not be sized correctly. I suppose if I use a 30a breaker it would eliminate this overload concern anyway.
It's just another feeder. That's why we have OCP. People can't always protect themselves from themselves.

As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid!"

bradleyelectric

Last edited:

Rewire

Right. :roll:

The bottom line is that you're worried about what some homeowner will do to the device after the fact. In that case, they can alter any installation after you're gone. Why worry about it?

The difference is you are not altering a device,the person removing the panel cover never touches the interlock.

Lawyer: Were you aware that removing the panel would defeat the interlock?
EC; Yes
Lawyer: Did you place a warning label to such affect on the panel ?
EC No
Lawyer: thank you ,no more questions.

I see a flaw in the design,eventually someone will be hurt.I choose to limit my exposure to liability by not installing trhese devices.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Going by that logic do you put labels on all device and panel covers stating "removing this cover will create a shock hazard by exposing live parts." Are you going to start using tamper proof screws on everything?

A guy has got to know where to draw the line. JMO.

peter d

I see a flaw in the design,eventually someone will be hurt.I choose to limit my exposure to liability by not installing trhese devices.

That's fine. As Cow pointed out removing a wall plate can cause a shock hazard. You can live in a world of fear if you want. I choose not to.

izak

as i recall, the Siemens interlock kits I have been installing actually bolt to the main breaker, not the cover, so taking the cover off does not defeat the interlock.
also, the main breaker has to be off to install/remove the cover when the interlocks are installed.

Rewire

Going by that logic do you put labels on all device and panel covers stating "removing this cover will create a shock hazard by exposing live parts." Are you going to start using tamper proof screws on everything?

A guy has got to know where to draw the line. JMO.

This is not apples to apples a cover is the protective device as installed ,to defeat the safety aspect you must directly alter the device as installed.With the aftermarket interlock you do not have to directly alter the device to defeat its function,bottom line is if you are comfortable with the exposure to liability then soldier on but as for me I see the flaw in the installation and I want to retain ownership of my business and not lose it to some fool who sues because of his stupidity so I will limit my exposure by not installing them when better means are available.

electricmanscott

,bottom line is if you are comfortable with the exposure to liability then soldier on but as for me I see the flaw in the installation and I want to retain ownership of my business and not lose it to some fool who sues because of his stupidity so I will limit my exposure by not installing them when better means are available.

You are very, very naive if you think you can cover your rear end by doing everything you think is right, safe, and proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.