power factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyboys

Without knowing the kw from a watt meter....

How do you find the power factor of a motor?
And how do you correct it to 100% unity?

i know- ExIx1.73/1000=kva
hpx746=kw
kw/kw=eff%
kw/kva=PF

sparkyboys

how do assume what the power factor of a motor will be?

what happens if you have 100% unity power factor and some of the inductive loads shut off at night or whatever wont it become capacitive?
i am not sure. does it?

electricalperson

unless the PFCC bank switches capacitors on and off to loads im assuming its not a good thing to have 100% unity PF. i think 95% is acceptable

if im wrong please correct me.

electricalperson

THANK YOU. i feel like i have actually learned something now about PF.

all power factor is , is the ratio between watts and volt-amps the power factor gets thrown off by inductive reactance caused by inductive loads like motors, ballasts transformers etc. anything with a coil is basically an inductive load. inductive reactance causes voltage to lead current. in a capactive circuit voltage lags current.

in a pure resistive circuit voltage and current reach the peak at the same time

you can put capacitors in an inductive circuit to bring current and voltage more in phase with eachother

bob

Without knowing the kw from a watt meter....
How do you find the power factor of a motor?
And how do you correct it to 100% unity?
i know- ExIx1.73/1000=kva
hpx746=kw
kw/kw=eff%
kw/kva=PF

If you do not know the kw of the motor then you have a problem. 746 watt/hp does not include the inefficiencies of the motor.
There are meters that will measure the motor power factor. You can use a clip on amp meter the get the KVA. If you don't know then you have to estimate. 0.80 is a figure to begin with. It depends on what you want to do. If you are trying to correct the plant power factor then you need to know what the actual PF is. You can get that from the utility. There is more information if you Google "motor power factor'.
I hope you got that problem you had on the other forum with the 0.25 factor corrected

Last edited:

sparkyboys

There are meters that will measure the motor power factor. If you don't know then you have to estimate. 0.80 is a figure to begin with. It depends on what you want to do. If you are trying to correct the plant power factor then you need to know what the actual PF is. You can get that from the utility.

i do all commercial, mostly schools and hospitals

electricalperson

i do all commercial, mostly schools and hospitals

anything other than residential gets charged per VA and not KW

you want the KW to be as close to the VA as possible to save money. even if your actual watt usage is lower than volt-amps which with bad power factor it is you pay for the KVA. if your VA is near to apprent watt power the bill will be more for power you actually used instead of power you used and technically "didnt" use

gar

Occupation
EE
090607-2024 EST

Refer to "Alternating-Current Machinery", Bailey and Gault, 1951, McGraw-Hill.

Chapter 8, Synchronous Motors.
"Power-factor Adjustment.
The synchronous motor has two unique characteristics:
1. Absolutely constant speed
2. Adjustable power factor ----- "

You can go from lagging to unity to leading by changing the excitation.

Chapter 17, Capacitor Motors.
Maximum efficiency does not occur at best power factor. But you can approach unity PF at full or slight overload at reduced efficiency. See running performance p310 - 313,

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
well thats one way of correcting power factor but usually dont they install a bank at the main service?
The disadvantage to that, in addition to difficulty of switching correction as loads change, is that your internal wiring system still has to carry the reactive power as well as the real power.

If your correction is near the load(s), the supply system only needs to carry real power. Your system would benefit the same way the POCO's system does with service-located correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.