Hiring a helper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid123456

I was looking for advise on hiring. I need a helper part time when the work come in. My question is what is the best way to pay this person, payroll company, cash, 1099......?

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sid,

Explaining how you broke the law on an open public forum is not wise and not within the professional nature of this forum. PM's are outside of the purview of the moderators so you are free to speak about that subject matter there if you so choose.

Best way? Company payroll (I assume you use a service for that). Easiest way? Cash. With a 1099, you both have to show that they're an independant contractor, and that'll be really hard to do for a helper. If you're a one-man shop and don't do classic payroll for yourself, check out using companies like Manpower, but it'll cost ya.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
How did he break the law? You can WRITE almost anything. He has not done anything. You can legally pay cash.

It is now obvious I did not see the OP since it has been edited.... I dont know

Dolfan

How did he break the law? You can WRITE almost anything. He has not done anything. You can legally pay cash.

It is now obvious I did not see the OP since it has been edited.... I dont know

please explain that for me.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think we have a disparity in the use of our terms.

I believe "Paying in cash" is legal, it's "legal tender for all debts, public and private", if I remember correctly. (Yes, I'm too lazy to pull out a dollar bill and look.)

I believe paying in cash and then failing to make out the proper paperwork (what I would call "under the table") is not legal.

I agree with Rob, it's not a good idea to publicize paying under the table, and it's not a good idea for people to advise the OP to pay someone under the table. Now, I am going to post a piece from the rules so that we all understand the playing field:

We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this forum or any entity associated with this forum.

mikeames

Occupation
Am I missing something please point out what is so bad or wrong about the first post!!!!

Dolfan said:
please explain that for me.

I don't know what to explain. All I know is nothing is wrong about the first post as it stands. It has been edited but I have not had the privilege to see what it said befor it was edited.

Dolfan

I would have to say that the part of owning a company and dealing with human resource stuff is the part that is messing with my mind the most. I hear stories of EC getting audited by WC and having their files inspected. I personally use a temp. agency. When the economy improves I will go with a payroll company like Compupay.

Last edited:

480sparky

Am I missing something please point out what is so bad or wrong about the first post!!!!

I don't know what to explain. All I know is nothing is wrong about the first post as it stands. It has been edited but I have not had the privilege to see what it said befor it was edited.

Suffice it to say it was edited for good reason.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Mike, the original post was edited by Rob for improper content. Asking us to re-post the text that Rob deemed to be in the OP's best interest not to share with the world kind of defeats the purpose of the action.

Tonight, I was asked by one member to delete an old thread that the poster was concerned about coming back on him in the real world. In this case, I believe Rob was being proactive in that same vein, and I support his action.

So, let's get back to what we can discuss without any reservation:

I need a helper part time when the work come in. My question is what is the best way to pay this person...

khixxx

Why not go to a Temp agency such as www.electricalagent.com you could go to indeed.com and locate a posting by an agency in your area for an electrician. Call them up and tell them your situation. I hear these agencies are flooded with resumes.

Hope this helps

Dolfan

Mike, the original post was edited by Rob for improper content. Asking us to re-post the text that Rob deemed to be in the OP's best interest not to share with the world kind of defeats the purpose of the action.

Tonight, I was asked by one member to delete an old thread that the poster was concerned about coming back on him in the real world. In this case, I believe Rob was being proactive in that same vein, and I support his action.

CLP for non-union, for union check with your local. They have the same thing, they pay taxes, WC, unemployment, and bennies. All on a temp. bases.

mikeames

Occupation

Yea I am not askign them to repost I am just pointing out the fact that peopl were discussing the unedited OP but others had not seen it. I was akes to explain my fist post as if I was crazy not the thing the unedited op was in appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.