egregious violation pics . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbond24

And enough with your attitude. I said it was not legal. But if i see a 5 year old with a gun i would take it off him and call cops before someone gets killed, this install is just as bad. I sure would not simply walk away doing nothing.

This looks fun! I think I'll jump in. :D

After having read this thread, I think a better analogy would be an adult with a gun that they are only pointing at their own head. Would you try to wrestle it from them, or would you leave them alone since they are only endangering themselves?

From the point of view of being a homeowner, if an electrician came into my house and saw something they didn't like and did ANYTHING about it without asking me first, they'd have a PO'ed homeowner on their hands. You have every right to communicate the facts to me, but you have no right to touch any of my stuff no matter how dangerous it is to me and mine. Now, on the flip side of that, if you found something that was actually dangerous, I'd certainly pay you to fix it and would appreciate you having brought it to my attention.

brantmacga said:
i know the first impulse is to tear everything out for their own protection, but i can't see that as a legal option. if this were a multi-family structure, or an instance where i felt other lives besides the homeowner's were in danger, i believe i would've taken further steps to get a disconnect. but as it stands, the home sits in the middle of a field with no one around, and i can't see them endangering anyone but themselves. then again i may be completely wrong. what would you do? specifically, what would be your next move; ahj, poco?

My vote would be for the AHJ. The POCO probably doesn't care because it is customer wiring. You need to get local authority involved that can assess the situation and take proper action legally. I agree that you can't touch it without their permission regardless of how bad it looks.

arossi

Untrained dangerous jerks

Untrained dangerous jerks

I have to agree with the terrible rats nest you walked in to. What burns me more than anything is that there wasn't even a second thought to the safety of the people in the home. Another example, stopped by my friends house this afternoon (he lives in a trailer park) and one of the mobile homes was moved out this week. The movers left the direct buried se cable laying in a huge puddle, and there are at least a dozen children running around the neighborhood. A little investigation and the line was still hot!!!! So I went and pulled the fuses for the service and locked the disconnect. What morons

c2500

I have to agree with the terrible rats nest you walked in to. What burns me more than anything is that there wasn't even a second thought to the safety of the people in the home. Another example, stopped by my friends house this afternoon (he lives in a trailer park) and one of the mobile homes was moved out this week. The movers left the direct buried se cable laying in a huge puddle, and there are at least a dozen children running around the neighborhood. A little investigation and the line was still hot!!!! So I went and pulled the fuses for the service and locked the disconnect. What morons

I saw one last summer where the movers did not notice an overhead line. That took me a good 15 minutes out of the way to get back to the main road. Some people are just plain dumb or ignorant.

c2500

arossi

I just don't understand why people don't have more respect for something that is so potentially dangerous
:-?

TOOL_5150

I just don't understand why people don't have more respect for something that is so potentially dangerous
:-?

I would feel safe to say that most of the guys here agree this is in fact a very hazardous 'installation' But its on private property - there is NOTHING you can legally do to remove power if the HO says 'its ok, leave it alone' All you can do is report it to the proper AHJ.

~Matt

cschmid

it wasn't mine to cut. even considering the seriousness of the violation, i believe it would be illegal for me to lock-out the panel or disconnect the wiring without authorization from the homeowner.

the only thing i saw fit to do was advise the HO of the dangers involved, and highlight the fact it could burn at any minute.

they took it under advisement, and said they'd had it running completely off the old pump wire at one time with no problems. :rolleyes:

we are scheduled to build a new service on tuesday.

i know the first impulse is to tear everything out for their own protection, but i can't see that as a legal option. if this were a multi-family structure, or an instance where i felt other lives besides the homeowner's were in danger, i believe i would've taken further steps to get a disconnect. but as it stands, the home sits in the middle of a field with no one around, and i can't see them endangering anyone but themselves. then again i may be completely wrong. what would you do? specifically, what would be your next move; ahj, poco?

You are correct you can not do anything here unless you are going to voluntary do it for free.

guess I would advise the owner and then ask myself how I was going to get paid and if it is worth the hassel.

Remember If the owner was willing to go to this extent before he called an electrician. will the owner be willing to pay the actual cost of repairs.

this is a nightmare and you just joined in the fun.

Jim W in Tampa

I simply would figure if they are to stupid to know the hazard then i need to get it stopped any way i can. If breaking the law is what it takes then so be it. Simply no way i would walk away from something this bad.
We all see violations every day, i seen one saturday at a night club that closed and i attended the auction to get bargains for my club. Seen a panel closed in for looks. Yes 110.26 but never even said a word. Seen flame lights with the low volt transformer mounted above ceiling and said nothing, mickymouse wiring in DJ booth. None of these were likely to start a fire or shock anyone. Let the fire marshal deal with it.But when you have whats in the OP you need to step up and take action. Call poco and the head electrical ahj. Get it killed before it kills.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It is so not right that we are held to the letter of the law could loose everything we have worked for our entire lives. Yet the jerk who did all of this life threatening work just walks away unaffected and unprosecuted.

The homeowner did the work.

cschmid

LMAO you know how common place these sorts of violations are. anyone work in a poverty riden area say around couple of reservations. place where pan handleing you children takes place and people live out of their cars when it is cold.

as the rules become more exspensive the more the violations you are going to see. best ask your self how nuch money you have we do live in a legitious society. so go ahead and stick your hands where they dont belong and sooner or later you will pay for it.. that is the way of our society especially when poor think they can make some cash..

pfalcon

After having read this thread, I think a better analogy would be an adult with a gun that they are only pointing at their own head. Would you try to wrestle it from them, or would you leave them alone since they are only endangering themselves?

I would shoot the adult for inciting a riot :D

To arossi in post #46: People do these things because electricity is MAGIC!

To the OP from a MH Park Owner: Throw the power off and refuse to turn it back on. You were asked to inspect and identified an immediate hazard. You are allowed to make yourself safe. Notify the HO of the immediate danger and give him a quote. If he turns it down let him know you must report to the local code enforcement agent. Then report it. If he accepts then immediately remove something vital so he can't turn it on himself.

For whatever reason, the aura surrounding a MH gives people the impression that doing things on the cheap is not only acceptable but required. Electrical, plumbing, painting, decks, cable ... the question is what I haven't seen hacked by a tenant.

electricmanscott

I simply would figure if they are to stupid to know the hazard then i need to get it stopped any way i can. If breaking the law is what it takes then so be it. Simply no way i would walk away from something this bad.

Jim, you are full of it. :rolleyes:

By the way, still waiting for you to find that NEC article that forbids me from roughing in a house before it is weather tight. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.