Old Meter Question - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greets. Trying to figure out the Amp rating on this old 1934 Duncan Meter. Am I right in assuming the 15A is the TA rating. I've found that the overload rating is 400% so would that make this a 60A meter?

Thanks for any and all clarification. The owner is tripping a breaker with only a 5 amp load on one branch circuit and we are trying to decide whether or not to just gut the service and start new.

Owner has a pretty neat old square D panel too.... :smile:

1934_Duncan_meter.jpeg

square_d_panel.jpg

nakulak

It'd be a shame to take that out of service before it hits the 100 year mark. Convince him to just leave it and spend a few thousand for fire suppression.

:grin:

I was thinking the same thing. If it get's replaced, I've already laid dibs on it. ;)

I have an old 1913 Square D on my basement work bench.

I did find the formula. The TA should be the nameplate rating.

CL = TA x % Overload Rating / 100

That would make it a 60A meter if I'm not mistaken (which does not meet or exceed the Amp rating of the panel, but who's counting....)

c2500

That panel looks the same as the ones in some rental condos I own. They were built in 1949 and 1951. The only difference is a slot or 2 more is filled. Maybe I should swap them and auction them off???:grin:

c2500

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Madpenguin,

That SqD MultiBreaker unit has an interesting history.

One ordered it with the breaker configuration factory installed. There's no way to change individual breakers out. The breakers are mounted in a tray that is hinged on one side. The neutral bus and terminals are under the breaker tray!

In making up the panel, one terminates the neutrals first. Then, after swinging the breaker tray back into place and tightening its screws, one terminates the branch circuit hot conductors and the supply conductors.

What made the MultiBreaker attractive to install was that it was, simply, a resetable breaker. The product, the MultiBreaker, was first introduced in 1936 for the residential market.

Last edited:

RonPecinaJr

Madpenguin,

That SqD MultiBreaker unit has an interesting history.

One ordered it with the breaker configuration factory installed. There's no way to change individual breakers out. The breakers are mounted in a tray that is hinged on one side. The neutral bus and terminals are under the breaker tray!

In making up the panel, one terminates the neutrals first. Then, after swinging the breaker tray back into place and tightening its screws, one terminates the branch circuit hot conductors and the supply conductors.

What made the MultiBreaker attractive to install was that it was, simply, a resetable breaker. The product, the MultiBreaker, was first introduced in 1936 for the residential market.

That's crazy! How did they ever add to an existing panel without having to shut everything down just to get to the neutral/ ground buss? That is unimaginable in todays world.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
That's crazy! How did they ever add to an existing panel without having to shut everything down just to get to the neutral/ ground buss? That is unimaginable in todays world.
:smile: It really is weird to imagine.

I also like the "straight from the factory" OFF in the up position row of breakers on the bottom.

I was so amazed by the first one of these that I ran into in the wild, that I got ahold of the area SqD rep who eventually sent me the history. That amazed me even more, as the house that had this one was built in 1938.

To get around the expansion limitations inherent in the MultiBreaker design, a separate service disconnect had been installed ( a general duty fused safety switch ) which had taps on the load terminals supplying other subpanels. That MultiBreaker in that 1938 house was almost pristine as-wired-originally.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Additions were rare back then. Nobody foresaw people increasing their electrical loads.

It's easy to criticize the past with todays hindsight.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Life without microwaves, coffee makers, toaster ovens.... how did they used to live like that?? LOL.
Isn't that it! Also:

Mechanical refrigeration.

Information Age real time media and communication streams.

Personal pocket-able mass data storage.

Even as a child of the Fifties, I find it hard to grasp how profoundly our trade, ensuring the safe flow of electrons, has altered life as it was. I thought I knew a fair amount, but two things greatly expanded my appreciation for the cultural and personal changes electricity has brought.

First, finally, 20 years into my career, I read a biography of Nikola Tesla, specifically, Margaret Cheney's Tesla: Man Out Of Time. The world that Tesla invented the first practical AC motor in is, simply, alien, electrically, compared to today.

Second, having read of Tesla, finding myself working in an 1880 Cass Gilbert Victorian house in historic St. Paul, MN, on a snowy night before Christmas Eve Day. The Cathedral Hill power grid went down for about an hour (in the 1980s it was still 2400 V and rickety in good weather), and the Grand Hill location I was in fell dark and silent. The snow absorbed the vehicle engine sounds of the city. The 60 cycle hum of machines inside the house fell silent. The artificial light of the still-energized surrounding city, reflected off the low snow clouds, illuminated the night of Grand Hill like a full moon, except a light snow was falling. Not being able to work, I stood, looking out of century old windows, across a small park, and watched as candles and oil lights began to illuminate the interiors of the neighboring homes. What blew my mind was the quiet. In those long moments, the sound of the fire in the fireplace on the other side of the room, and the two kids playing, contentedly, with blocks (Legos), in its light, came completely into the foreground. . . I realized I was experiencing the moments of an era when this 1880 house was brand new, and there was no Grid . . . Then the house phone rang. :cool::rolleyes:

spdtrx

[ . . I realized I was experiencing the moments of an era when this 1880 house was brand new, and there was no Grid . . . Then the house phone rang. :cool::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Great story. :rolleyes: Got my attention.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.