200a ~ 3/0

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Is there any point in ignoring T310.15(B)(6) and installing 200A services with 3/0 CU conductors on a typical SFH?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is there any point in ignoring T310.15(B)(6) and installing 200A services with 3/0 CU conductors on a typical SFH?

In years past I have done many homes with 2/0 cu for 200 amps. I see no reason to use 3/0 unless that is what you have on hand. ;)

celtic

It will make him feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Me ......... I would feel like I just through money down the drain.

The "idea" is part of an overall service upgrade "package" including Eaton's PLUG-ON NEUTRAL LOADCENTERS:

jan_14_building_products_eaton_plug_on_loadcenter.jpg
ct_124449.jpg

The price being sought would certainly give him a warm and fuzzy feeling all the way to the bank.

DavisIMI

It just depends on the situation, for some old lady or the nerdy dude in the city, then of course 2/0, but for the redneck guy like me, out in the sticks, then 3/0, which when I build my house it will have a 400 amp service on it. What I'm saying is it depends on the situation, it the person plans on adding a detached garage or barn then I would go with 3/0. If you know nothing of any size is going to be added then the latter. Houses are a lot bigger now than in the past, it doesn't take long for things to add up. Just my 2 cents.

active1

Sometimes local ammendments spec out 3/0 for 200a.

If your in a bind and buying from a home center sometimes they are limited to 3/0 and also #2 for 100a just because that's what they stock.

celtic

Sometimes local ammendments spec out 3/0 for 200a.

If your in a bind and buying from a home center sometimes they are limited to 3/0 and also #2 for 100a just because that's what they stock.

No amendments..no "time is of the essence".....typical straight-forward 200A OH SFH upgrade.

200a gets 2/0 based on resi code minimums. h/o's want to add stuff in the future and i might add that stuff. I say lets go with 3/0 cause they will hate me when i say your new sub panel for the addition is gonna require yet another service upgrade.

celtic

celtic

200a gets 2/0 based on resi code minimums. h/o's want to add stuff in the future and i might add that stuff. I say lets go with 3/0 cause they will hate me when i say your new sub panel for the addition is gonna require yet another service upgrade.

What do think the average load is on a typical SFH?

ITO

Sometimes you are working for a smartypants engineer who not only knows everything there is to now about electrical work but also bird dogs you the whole time and insists you use the wire size he "spec'ed" out regardless of what the code says, and by god he knows too and that's why he as a 400A service on his shed out back.

Status
Not open for further replies.