Concrete Enclosed Electrodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kid993

In Northern Va, there is one jurisdiction that is requiring CEEs to be Megged out in their presence if there was not an inspection. They dont accept certification. But the code (2006 IRC) says the 25 Ohms or less rule only applies to rod, pipe and plate electrodes. Most of their inspecters wont "schedule" inspections, just give you a window and it is difficult to get a builder to wait a day to pour footers.

Wondering if anyone else has similar issues and what they are doing about it

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In one area they allow the building inspector to note on his footer inspection that the CEE is in place. Most of the building inspectors are also electrical inspectors also but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to be taught how to inspect a CEE.

Try talking with the inspection department and try to work out a method that is conducive to everyone. Also ask the builder if he would pour the footer without an inspection. The electrical inspection is now part of pouring that footer if the CEE is being enforced.

iwire

Staff member
Most of the building inspectors are also electrical inspectors

It always surprises me how different things are, I have never met a 'combination inspector.

From MA laws

Chapter 166: Section 32. Municipal inspector of wires; appointment; qualifications; powers and duties; liability for removal of wires

Section 32. A city or town shall, by ordinance, vote or by-law, appoint an inspector of wires. Said inspector shall be a licensed electrician...................

That pretty much rules out building inspectors also doing electrical inspections. :cool:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
It always surprises me how different things are, I have never met a 'combination inspector.

From MA laws

That pretty much rules out building inspectors also doing electrical inspections. :cool:

Just my opinion, all building inspectors should be licensed electricians. It seems most combo insectors I have met that started as electricians have a far better understanding of the entire process of constructing a building and how the other trades work.

ceb58

Just my opinion, all building inspectors should be licensed electricians. It seems most combo insectors I have met that started as electricians have a far better understanding of the entire process of constructing a building and how the other trades work.

I thorley agree with that statement. The areas I work in have multi-trade inspectors. The larger counties/city have single trade inspectors. One county inspector I have dealt with was a plumbing contractor for years he was tough on the plumbers but didn't know squat about any thing else. He would think something was wrong electrically and you would break out the code book and give him a class on electrical code and he was happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.