Quick Chicago question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcNSpark

Hi all, and apologies in advance for what might be a stupid question.

Did I once read on this forum that the city of Chicago requires...again, this might be a dumb, oddly specific question...all new buildings to be piped in EMT?

It seems ridiculous, I know, but something in the back of my mind says that I read it here, and I wouldn't know where to find the Chicago local codes are.

Thanks and sorry!

celtic

When your whole city burned down at one time you get paranoid.

cows-eat-chicken.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:)

Dunno. San Francisco doesn't required pipe everywhere, and AFAIK neither does London (which has had many more fires than SF and Chicago combined). I always thought it was a full-employment thing, like requiring plaster instead of drywall (Chicago, I assume that's been repealed).

Minuteman

Someones personal belief and misunderstanding affecting the cost of installations.

Though myself I am ok with their requirement.

Not sure when the #12 only came about, but I remember back in the late 80's when the inspectors checked for loose conduit fitting and connections. If they found 3 lose, then they required the EGC. After a year or so, they just up and required it period and put it into the local amendments.

brian john

Not sure when the #12 only came about, but I remember back in the late 80's when the inspectors checked for loose conduit fitting and connections. If they found 3 lose, then they required the EGC. After a year or so, they just up and required it period and put it into the local amendments.

So Oklahoma is rife with slackers? How hard is it for a professional to tighten the connections be it EMT or conductor terminations.

iMuse97

I didn't know they even had EMT that far back.

they didn't even have electric? did they? nearly everything was gas until 1900, wasn't it? and that's why the cow kicked over a portable lantern.

Actually, I've worked on old buildings where the electric was run in rigid pipe that was first used for gas, and then retrofitted with bends, etc. for pulling wire.

iMuse97

Hi all, and apologies in advance for what might be a stupid question.

Did I once read on this forum that the city of Chicago requires...again, this might be a dumb, oddly specific question...all new buildings to be piped in EMT?

It seems ridiculous, I know, but something in the back of my mind says that I read it here, and I wouldn't know where to find the Chicago local codes are.

Thanks and sorry!

1. not stupid question.
2. yes, EMT or better, IMC or RIGID, is required.
3. what seems ridiculous? that you read it here? I sure you did, I wrote it. that Chitown requires it? Not ridiculous at all. keeps us in shape and you get real fast at piping.
4. What's to be sorry for. Move here and you can do all buildings, even single family homes in EMT.
5. Chicago code is available (for a price) from the City of Chicago.

From CHICAGO building dept website (updated for 2000, they're big on keeping up with things):

"Metallic Raceway....is the general wiring method for above grade new construction within buildings.
Nonmetallic raceway has expanded use underground, in corrosive atmospheres, in pools, and for signs.

Metallic cable has an expanded use for extensions to receptacle outlets in dwellings under 4 stories and for flexible whips to ceiling fixtures in commercial occupancies.

This global requirement is consistent with the requirements in over 90% of the surrounding cities, towns, villages and counties. (Based on a survey of 105 surrounding jurisdictions)"

"Metal-Clad Cable (MC)....New wiring method to be permitted for extensions to receptacle outlets in existing dwellings and for flexible whips above ceilings and below raised floors....including the "other space for environmental air". (Efficient use of this product could lead to great savings in cost and labor for building owners)

Other Space for Environmental Air...(Plenum Spaces).....Restricts all wiring in these spaces to metal raceway and metal cable wiring methods. (There is growing concern nationwide regarding the potential fire load of open cables in these air handling spaces), and removes the requirement for specific Chicago Plenum Approved fixtures above ceilings (Great cost savings to building owners and tenants developing commercial spaces)"

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Other Space for Environmental Air...(Plenum Spaces).....Restricts all wiring in these spaces to metal raceway and metal cable wiring methods. (There is growing concern nationwide regarding the potential fire load of open cables in these air handling spaces), and removes the requirement for specific Chicago Plenum Approved fixtures above ceilings (Great cost savings to building owners and tenants developing commercial spaces)"

"Great cost savings to building owners and tenants..." Yea right. Who do they think they are kidding.

So if I understand that right, you can't run plenum rated cable in any ceiling space used for air return?? You have to pipe in computer and telephone cables? And that is supposed to save money!!!

MarkyMarkNC

So Oklahoma is rife with slackers? How hard is it for a professional to tighten the connections be it EMT or conductor terminations.

Sounds to me like the slackers are the inspectors :grin:

An inspector can just require a ground wire instead of taking the time to check every single conduit connection in an install.

Status
Not open for further replies.