health care area

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

ok if i have fixtures above 7 1/2' they can be ran in just MC Cable but the switch must be fed with HFC Cable and i can then leave the switch box with MC Cable and hit my fixtures isnt this correct?

raider1

Staff member
No, Exception #2 to 517.13(B) only permits you to omit the insulated equipment grounding conductor. You must still use a wiring method where the metal sheath qualifys as an equipment grounding conductor.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I run HC from sw to first light, then mc to the other lights

If these lights are in a patient care area of a health care facility, you can't run standard MC cable to any of the lights.

Here is what Exception #2 to 517.13(B) says:

Exception No. 2: Luminaires more than 2.3 m (7? ft) above the floor and switches located outside of the patient care vicinity shall be permitted to be connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).

So this exception allows you to omit the insulated equipment grounding conductor to lights above 7 1/2 feet, but you still need to use a metallic wiring method that the sheath itself qualifys as an equipment grounding conductor.

Chris

SiddMartin

I believe that only in Patient care areas u need that req. Under the definition of Patient care area, it says it is only up to 7 feet.

raider1

Staff member
I believe that only in Patient care areas u need that req. Under the definition of Patient care area, it says it is only up to 7 feet.

No, the 7 foot height limitation is in the definition of patient care vicinity, not patient care area.

517.13 is titled "Grounding of receptacles and fixed electrical equipment in patient care areas." The patient care area includes, but is not limited to the patient care vicinity.

If you read the exception again it states that luminaires above 7 1/2 feet and switches outside the patient care vicinity shall be permitted to be connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Sid, I think you are thinking about the definition of "Patient Vicinity", (and it is 7 1/2') that is not the same as "Patient Care Area" and 517.13 pertains to the whole Patient Care Area.

Exception No 2 to 517.13(B) is as Chris said, it only relieves the requirement of the insulated conductor.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, I guess I was typing a little slow. ;)

Roger

SiddMartin

No, the 7 foot height limitation is in the definition of patient care vicinity, not patient care area.

517.13 is titled "Grounding of receptacles and fixed electrical equipment in patient care areas." The patient care area includes, but is not limited to the patient care vicinity.

If you read the exception again it states that luminaires above 7 1/2 feet and switches outside the patient care vicinity shall be permitted to be connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).

Chris

Thank you for correcting me, I will double chk my book and try and see where i went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.