Quick Chicago question

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Do they still have fires that were caused by electricity ?
If you look at their fire numbers, they will tell you that they have 75% less fires of electrical origin than the national average. There may be any number of reasons for this and you really can't conclude that it is a direct result of the "pipe" code.

ArcNSpark

If you look at their fire numbers, they will tell you that they have 75% less fires of electrical origin than the national average. There may be any number of reasons for this and you really can't conclude that it is a direct result of the "pipe" code.

OK...I started this mess, and I'm sorry but I have to ask for clarification, because this seems so hard to swallow.

Does EVERY building, whether it be commercial, residential or industrial, have to be run in EMT in this area???

If so...and this second question is for those of you in the Cook County area...how long does it take you to rough a house? Two weeks? longer?

With all respect, I can't imagine running EMT through wooden studs...especially when complicated lighting circuits are concerned.

Thanks for bearing with me.

--Mark

quogueelectric

cows-eat-chicken.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:)

Porterhouse for everyone????

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OK...I started this mess, and I'm sorry but I have to ask for clarification, because this seems so hard to swallow.

Does EVERY building, whether it be commercial, residential or industrial, have to be run in EMT in this area???

If so...and this second question is for those of you in the Cook County area...how long does it take you to rough a house? Two weeks? longer?

With all respect, I can't imagine running EMT through wooden studs...especially when complicated lighting circuits are concerned.

--Mark
Mark,
Yes, almost everything is in conduit under the "Chicago" type codes. I don't work up there and don't do resi so I can't tell you how long it takes.

iMuse97

Do they still have fires that were caused by electricity ?

No, by executive order of the President, there are no fires of any kind in Chicago. They had one a few years back, and decided that we as a society can no longer support this kind of behavior, and the president's "hometown" is the place to start.

iMuse97

--Mark

I've done hundreds of homes, restaurants, apt's, schools, etc. in EMT, IMC. Until two years ago I never did anything with romex, but the romex was actually in Indiana, where state code overrules local authority and they have to permit it, even though they don't want to. I never did a service in other than IMC or rigid until a couple years ago, again in Indiana. In northeast Illinois you will do pipe.

I can do an average (2400sq) house in EMT for a price about $500.00 more than you can do it in romex. I've done 2M dollar homes with 350 recessed fixtures, with EMT to every can, every home theater footlight, etc.

Last edited:

nakulak

I think its great that Chicago leads the way and requires everything to be piped in. I am looking forward to the day that they upgrade this requirement to rigid.

iMuse97

Not in CHI-town.

You asked if no MC, and I flipped off a quick answer b/c I didn't have more time right then.

Technically, you can use MC to fish things in, or to get to a brick box, or as a fixture whip. Other than that, don't try to run MC where you would be able to easily pipe it.

nakulak

Surely you jest....

someone in another thread mentioned that a farmer got killed from EMT when a cow knocked it loose (and the pipe was the ground), so . . . it got me thinking that, hey, what if Mrs. Oleary's cow (or someone else's) got loose in the city again ?? Think of all the damage that cow could do, knocking EMT loose everywhere (and electrocuting people, causing fires, widespread panic, activating code purple on the homeland security threat level , calling out the national guard and putting the Strategic Air Command on high alert, etc etc)

So, imho, I am convinced that Chicago should bite the bullet and get rid of the silly (and dangerous) light weight EMT requirement (for little girls) and require it all to be rigid. (maybe even throw in a requirement for a minimum size of, say 1-1/4 too, just for kicks)

Minuteman

So, imho, I am convinced that Chicago should bite the bullet and get rid of the silly (and dangerous) light weight EMT requirement (for little girls) and require it all to be rigid. (maybe even throw in a requirement for a minimum size of, say 1-1/4 too, just for kicks)

Yeah, and require a EGC, even though it's metal pipe, like they do here! :grin:

peter d

I agree wholeheartedly. They should go the extra mile and require PVC coated.

Status
Not open for further replies.