Quick Chicago question

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

...A good EMT guy on a frame structure is expected lay out boxes, drill and put up 500' of pipe per day. Some of us could easily do 6-7....
I'm sure working in a place where everything is pipe makes everyone pretty darned good at it, but I'd like to see someone install 700 feet of pipe in a house in an eight-hour day, especially when wedging the stuff into wood-frame walls with a thousand bends. You sure you aren't over-estimating?

-John

iMuse97

I'm sure working in a place where everything is pipe makes everyone pretty darned good at it, but I'd like to see someone install 700 feet of pipe in a house in an eight-hour day, especially when wedging the stuff into wood-frame walls with a thousand bends. You sure you aren't over-estimating?

-John

No. I've done it.

iMuse97

No wonder you save money ......... you don't run any EMT at all. :grin:

I think your list is missing something.

Romex: layout, drill, pull, splice, trim.
EMT: layout, drill, Run, Measure, Cut, Measure, Bend, EMT Than pull, splice, trim.

yeah, I saw that the day after i posted it. well, yeah we do pull that stuff in the walls, too. with 1/2 in. emt you have to treat it like its rope, only you drill near the edge of the stud not right in the middle of it. then it's easy to pull in.

powerslave

Technically, you can use MC to fish things in, or to get to a brick box, or as a fixture whip. Other than that, don't try to run MC where you would be able to easily pipe it.

Some places in the Chicagoland area, such as the City of Elgin, don't even allow this. Inspecter there told me I had to open the walls and put in EMT.

jerrysounds

I would pipe somewhere in the 400 to 600 ft in a day. Bustin a$$.Now I think I would pipe about half of that. I will tell you this, I am glad I moved to California where everything is in Romex. Piping in the winter became to much on the body. Not to mention the cost of piping a home now days. The good thing about piping is that your local handyman tends to stay away from the bigger jobs. If the job is not bid well a person can really loose their a$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.