new 200a home service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreen79

I maxed every thing out on my software and came up with 103 amps for a older lady in a mobile home. That's 24,690.50 va, 120/240v, 1w/g, 200' length one way, comes out at 102.88 amps. Wire size 2/0. But hey if you want to pull 4/0 go for it, but 250's are out of the question.

P.S. This was calculated on a 16x80 mobile home. With all the modern luxuries.:wink:
Thanks. it is a 16x80 mobile home with most modern luxuries. I see 2/0, was just thinking 4/0 alum. would be cheaper. I'm thinking copper will be a better way to go anyway. So I'll stick with 2/0 copper for a 200 amp feeder, what if she added a small shop later on?
In the shop or "out building" she would maybe park her truck, have a few lights and a few general purpose outlets really just for the convienence, that's it.

Heck I don't know!!!!! we were gonna build her a porch with lights and a few fans as well, there goes another 20 amp breaker.
Maybe I should go with 320amp????????????

jgreen79

sorry can't edit.
$460 for 250 alum.
$980 for 2/0 copper
600 foot length
Now that I think about it, I believe the POCO requested or maybe required aluminum.

DavisIMI

If you look at the calculations I did in the early post, she's only going to use 103 amps if she turns every thing on in the house, and since she cant run the heat and air at the same time then this will never happen. So you will have half your capacity left to do whatever you wish. I ran another cal. using my trusty elect. calculator and based on 200 amp load 3/0 is good. If I were you, I would pull 2/0 and let'er go.

DavisIMI

No one here is tell you wrong, everyone just has their own opinions and the own way of doing things. But I understand where your coming from, its your mother in law and you want to do it as cheap as possible but do it right. Just give the inspector there the numbers and tell him what you plan on doing and he'll tell you what your going to do. I've always found if you get them in on the gitgo and explain what your wanting to do you'll have no problem. Good luck.:wink:

peter d

4/0 on 400 amps,,,,yo're gonna burn something clear..,,,,,,,,probably the house

You're completely wrong. The actual load of a dwelling unit is carefully computed by the serving electric utility and the cable/wires they install are adequately sized to serve the load based on their historical load data. Furthermore, the NEC service calculations will almost always result in a service size that is grossly more than necessary.

And in the extremely unlikely event of a failure, the poco is there 24/7/365 to repair it.

mcclary's electrical

Carefully computed?????? they never set foot in a house,,,,,,,,they feed per your service,,,,,and you can't put 400 amps on 4/0 alu no matter what.

72.5kv

From the Poco point of view will the service every pull the listed 400amp, very unlikely. I interned with a distribution engineer typically the utility will size their equipment at about 30 to 50 percent of what the NEC requires. There are a few expections but for a home those numbers are the norm.

15KVA = 1 home 25KVA = 2-3 homes 50KV= 3-5 homes 75KVA= 5-8 homes

peter d

Carefully computed?????? they never set foot in a house,,,,,,,,they feed per your service,,,,,

They still ask for a service calculation and/or major loads when doing a new service request.

you can't put 400 amps on 4/0 alu no matter what.

Yes, you're right, under the NEC you cannot. But the poco is not bound by NEC requirements. Furthermore, a typical residential service will never "put 400 amps" of real load onto the service.

jgreen79

Well we went with 4/0 alum.
I have another question though.....the almost new meter can/panel given to us is installed. It does not have feed through lugs, or a main breaker...
So I'm looking for a 200amp double pole breaker, homeline type to feed the mobile home. All I can find is a HOM2200 which is a double pole, but has 4 locations for wire, as if it's for parallel feeds. Is there a 200 amp breaker small enough to fit like a 100 amp double pole would, as there is not provisions for a main.
Again this came from home depot, square d, NEMA 3R, 200amp 120/240v, 12 space with meter socket atop already attached from factory, aluminum bussing but no lugs to feed through to house panel. So what is the best route to make this work?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a 200 amp breaker small enough to fit like a 100 amp double pole would, as there is not provisions for a main.
The odds are you won't find one, because the bus stabs are probably not rated for more than 100 or 125a.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Again this came from home depot, square d, NEMA 3R, 200amp 120/240v, 12 space with meter socket atop already attached from factory, aluminum bussing but no lugs to feed through to house panel. So what is the best route to make this work?

Like Larry said, 100-125 is usually the max although you may find a 4 pole 200 amp breaker. I'm not familiar with Homeline so I don't know. A couple other options are to reduce the feed to 125 amp(somebody mentioned the calculated load is only 103 amps?) or use a different panel with feed-thru lugs.

jgreen79

Like Larry said, 100-125 is usually the max although you may find a 4 pole 200 amp breaker. I'm not familiar with Homeline so I don't know. A couple other options are to reduce the feed to 125 amp(somebody mentioned the calculated load is only 103 amps?) or use a different panel with feed-thru lugs.

their homeline has a 4 pole, will see if I can find one tommorrow, but how does this work when I need a double pole? The pole has 4 terminals, guess I"m confused. Is there an adapter to allow termination of the two aluminum cables....part numbers I've came up with is square d hom2200 and hom2200BB

Last edited:

jgreen79

ok, couldn't find the 200 amp breaker. I'm heading back out of town so I had to get her hooked up. We went with a 125 amp breaker and 2-2-4 URD for the wire. I was concerned about the wire size but was told by electrician and electrical supply it would be fine.

I want to do a load calc if I can to make extra sure. I figure the worst that will happen is if she's running everything it will trip the 125 and she'll have to step it up and might as well do it to a 200 amp and just replace the nema3r enclosure rather than buy a breaker.
She's got:
5-15 amps
5-20 amps
1 dp 25 water heater
1 dp 40 ac
1 dp 40 furnace
1 dp 30 blower
1 dp 40 stove
1 dp 30 dryer
the furnace nameplate says:
4 speed, 4 ton, 2.9 FLA, 1/3 HP output is 41,000 BTU(12.0kw)
total amps circuit 1 is 28 amps, circuit 2 is 24 amps

all the ac says is 18.2 amps, max circuit breaker 30 amp, for some reason it's wired to a dp 40, via #10 THHN.

Will we be ok? Thanks a ton for the help.

iMuse97

anyone, ease my mind about the wire size?

your wire sizing is right on, no problemo. I just read every post in the thread and you could put on that 125A as a main and almost certainly never have trouble, even when you add two or three circuits for the shop/outbuilding. Along with some others, I don't know about the homeline 200A breaker, but personally, I'd go with the 125A and be done. The load calc. is the key player here and is the info. you need to go with.

iMuse97

anyone, ease my mind about the wire size?

you also mentioned adding a 60A DP for the outbuilding. But I saw you mentioned that you would only run two or three 20A circuits. Assume that the actual load of the building will max at about 30A, your DP 60A breaker is only being used at 25% of capacity. So don't think load in terms of a 60A DP, but rather in terms of a 30A SP, and that's high IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.