CFL fire hazard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

Take the poll please!!

Take the poll please!!

Hey guys, go over to THIS THREAD and take the poll..it is multiple choice and will make the point I tried to make with my post above a little more clear.

It boils down to this:

If a NON-smoking/melting CFL that costs just $1 more is available, would you use it? And would you buy that product again knowing it fails safely?

Even though I screwed up and hit the wrong button (it was late when I started the thread and I didn't double-check before I submitted my votes, mine is the vote for the burning one which is OBVIOUSLY NOT what I would choose) it will hopefully give a better feel for what people here really think about the safety of CFL's and keep this thread from going off-topic.

Have fun and I welcome comments on that thread...

mxslick

How do we know which brand smokes and which doesn't? Is the packaging so marked?

Deja vu.. :D

Yes, it would have to become a packaging blurb by the makers to really have any impact.

I also think that in today's age, a little time on the 'net will reveal which brands have a bad failure mode record..

mxslick

You bet..we all know smokers cost more anyways.. :D

attachment.php

rperttula

CFL fire hazard

CFL fire hazard

Somehow, I get the uncomfortable feeling that the switch to CFLs from incandescents may result in a number of bad things happening. From CFLs that flicker on and off, even with the light switches turned off, to CFLs that come on very slowly to full brightness??, to these ballast burning
issues, to cheaply made foreign units (think China, etc.), the whole energy-saving aspect of all of this might just be penny-wise, pound-foolish when it is all said and done.
But, as usual, we seem to be trying to turn ourselves into a third-world country, by downsizing everything including salaries, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.