Not really 250ft. in a roll of romex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wptski

I have 2 fluke ts100s which is a tdr wire length meter. You just clip the leads on any 2 conductors in the roll punch in the adjustment factor and it will give you an acurate length of a coil of wire.
I have a AEMC Graphical TDR which will work perfectly on a extension cord, say 100' long once you set the VOP on a known lenght. I've played with Romex and always get mixed results. I've read the shape of the cable matters, round works well but flat like Romes doesn't.

What VOP are you using for Romex? You can find the VOP for most anything else online but not Romex type cable.

nhfire77

I have a AEMC Graphical TDR which will work perfectly on a extension cord, say 100' long once you set the VOP on a known lenght. I've played with Romex and always get mixed results. I've read the shape of the cable matters, round works well but flat like Romes doesn't.

What VOP are you using for Romex? You can find the VOP for most anything else online but not Romex type cable.

My Psiber Cable brand TDR has 14/2, 12/2, 14/3, 12/3 NM preprogrammed in it.

charlietuna

We had a job that required 50 control wires between some machinery and the distance was 480 feet. We set up the wire, all new spools and seven out of the 50 were too short. Makes you wonder???

drbond24

Wait until you order $950,000 worth of cable, mostly made to order at the factory. They quoted me a +10%/-0% tolerance. I refuse to accept anything short - I'm pulling anywhere from 300 ft to 1500 ft runs of anything from 3/C #12 up to 3/C #500, so a few feet short causes big problems. I ordered anywhere from 1,200 ft to 12,000 ft of cable per reel. About half of my 65 reel order (47 miles of cable) came in at exactly +10%, the other half came in at the exact length I ordered or plus a few feet. Basically the terms and conditions allow the manufacturer to increase their sales by 10% if they're in the mood to do it! Next time I place a big wire order I'm specifying +10 feet/-0 feet.

The fact that a bunch of my reels came in exactly 10% over really bugs me - if they can get that close, why not send me the exact number I ordered? Just one more way they're invented to screw the customer, and the distributors and manufacturers act like it's perfectly normal to have T&C's that allow them to increase sales by 10% at their discretion!

+10%/-0% was normal at the wire manufacturer I worked at. Obviously, a piece of wire that is even an inch too short is useless so they have to be at least as long as you specify, but there is the possibility that they will send you more than you wanted and charge you for it. Their measuring devices could easily be off by a few feet and they always add a few feet to avoid customers that cut it too close with what they ordered (its always the manufacturers fault if the cable is too short, even if it was ordered that way :)), but if you got long reels that were exactly 10% too long then you probably have a reason to be aggravated. :cool:

quogueelectric

We had a job that required 50 control wires between some machinery and the distance was 480 feet. We set up the wire, all new spools and seven out of the 50 were too short. Makes you wonder???
I was always taught that 500 foot spools are always short. I have found this to be true.

480sparky

........... I have found this to be true.

Do tell.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

quogueelectric

VOP is 71 for romex. I have had good luck with this meter

quogueelectric

Many moons ago when I was just a calf a bigshot foreman told me dont count on 500' reels of thhn 12 wire to be 500' they are always short so if you have 4 runs 125' long dont just even up 4 lengths because they will be short. Over MANY years of testing this theory I have found it to be true. Go test it yourself if you dont believe report back with your mad results. (glove slapping sound)

480sparky

Many moons ago when I was just a calf a bigshot foreman told me dont count on 500' reels of thhn 12 wire to be 500' they are always short so if you have 4 runs 125' long dont just even up 4 lengths because they will be short. Over MANY years of testing this theory I have found it to be true. Go test it yourself if you dont believe report back with your mad results. (glove slapping sound)

So in other words, when you've pulled wire in all these years, you measure every inch of it as you go?

quogueelectric

So far, you've stated you were told 500' spools were short, you believed it, but never actually verified it.

Oh wait, you said

Using what method?
Measurement using feet and inches. And as usual you misquoted what I posted was I have found said reels to be short on occasion. My opinion which I am solely entitled to is that I have found many 500' reels to be short on the footage. My point is for everyone who works in the trade and reading this post is to verify it for yourself , That includes you and I dont think you have pulled any wire in the last half hour so call back when you have tried it for yourself.

quogueelectric

Gee I found someone who actually agrees for once. Why dont you ask charlie what model ruler he used??

480sparky

Measurement using feet and inches. And as usual you misquoted what I posted was I have found said reels to be short on occasion. My opinion which I am solely entitled to is that I have found many 500' reels to be short on the footage. My point is for everyone who works in the trade and reading this post is to verify it for yourself , That includes you and I dont think you have pulled any wire in the last half hour so call back when you have tried it for yourself.

Not sure how I misquoted you when I just copied and pasted it. Maye my computer has a bug in it that does that sometimes.

You say you have verified 500' spools to be short.

NOW you say you've found them 'short on occasion'.

All I'm asking for is your method of determining how you found the spool to be short.

You say you measure them using feet and inches. Those are units of measure. I'm asking :What device, contraption, machine, contricance, instrument, implement, gadget or tool, as well as method, manner, formula, process, technique or fashion do you use to ARRIVE with the net result which is EXPRESSED in feet and inches?

quogueelectric

Not sure how I misquoted you when I just copied and pasted it. Maye my computer has a bug in it that does that sometimes.

You say you have verified 500' spools to be short.

NOW you say you've found them 'short on occasion'.

All I'm asking for is your method of determining how you found the spool to be short.

You say you measure them using feet and inches. Those are units of measure. I'm asking :What device, contraption, machine, contricance, instrument, implement, gadget or tool, as well as method, manner, formula, process, technique or fashion do you use to ARRIVE with the net result which is EXPRESSED in feet and inches?
I am not wasting another keystroke on this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.