Not really 250ft. in a roll of romex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Someone told me if you roll it out and measure it, that its like 20' short. Anyone heard of this?

TOOL_5150

I find that very hard to believe. With technology today, Im sure they could mass produce 74-3/8 rolls of romex and be within of a 1/6th each roll.

Sounds like someone is trying to get you to roll out a whole 250' and measure it. Dont waste your time.

~Matt

ultramegabob

so nobody knows for sure.... hmmmm.

I know for sure that Im not going to unroll a roll of wire that says 250' on it, I seriously doubt a major manufacture is going to put a specific length on the package if it isnt correct, the dept. of weights and measures would be all over it.

480sparky

I know for sure that Im not going to unroll a roll of wire that says 250' on it, I seriously doubt a major manufacture is going to put a specific length on the package if it isnt correct, the dept. of weights and measures would be all over it.

One can always weigh them. If they all weigh the same, they're probably purty close to 250'. I can see once in a while one being a bit short, though.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Think of how many more rolls they could make if they shorted each one by just 1'. That would be one extra roll for every 250.

brian john

If the advertise 250', to sell anything less would be false advertising and they could be sued. Remember Mickey D's 1/4 lb pre cooked weight and the lawsuit?

jdsmith

I have always been told by wire manufacturers that they had a plus or minus ten percent tolerance

Wait until you order $950,000 worth of cable, mostly made to order at the factory. They quoted me a +10%/-0% tolerance. I refuse to accept anything short - I'm pulling anywhere from 300 ft to 1500 ft runs of anything from 3/C #12 up to 3/C #500, so a few feet short causes big problems. I ordered anywhere from 1,200 ft to 12,000 ft of cable per reel. About half of my 65 reel order (47 miles of cable) came in at exactly +10%, the other half came in at the exact length I ordered or plus a few feet. Basically the terms and conditions allow the manufacturer to increase their sales by 10% if they're in the mood to do it! Next time I place a big wire order I'm specifying +10 feet/-0 feet.

The fact that a bunch of my reels came in exactly 10% over really bugs me - if they can get that close, why not send me the exact number I ordered? Just one more way they're invented to screw the customer, and the distributors and manufacturers act like it's perfectly normal to have T&C's that allow them to increase sales by 10% at their discretion!

dbuckley

Our Romex equivalent cable here in NZ ("TPS") is has the length from end of cable printed on it every metre. So you can see when you take the first pull off the reel that it isn't short. And you know how much each run has used without lifting a measure, and know exactly whats left on the reel. All damned handy.

And the 100m drum tends to have pretty much exactly 100m on it.

quogueelectric

I have 2 fluke ts100s which is a tdr wire length meter. You just clip the leads on any 2 conductors in the roll punch in the adjustment factor and it will give you an acurate length of a coil of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.