Mulit Unit SER Feeders through attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donscomp

I did not think you could run SER cable through attics in a multi unit condo bldg.
I didnt think unit A's feeder could penitrate unit B's attic.

Am I wrong here?

Thanks
Don

cadpoint

I think it's a great AHJ issue as well as the other comments.

If your saying your going to penetrated a fire wall in the attic I'm sure that the minimum requirement is to maintain that fire rating based on the UL type
materials that have by design and by application achieved the desired fire rating needed.

Theres all type of sleeves both buyable and makeable that can maintain that existing fire rating!

480sparky

Firestopping and ambient temperature derating would be the only issues I can think of.

How do you think they get 'house' lighting circuits around a building? Or fire alarm? Telephone? CATV? Even the gas lines usually run through the various units.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I remember in Los Angeles for a while they required the wires to be in conduit so somone could not tap into the wires. That usually did not stop creative folks.

Jim Shorts

Well, I was kind of wrong on this one. IRC 317.2 states that each Townhouse shall be considered a separate building. That means you cannot pass a feeder through that building without a disconnecting means. The IBC requires all other multifamily dwellings to have sprinklers. There is no such thing as a condominum according to the ICC. So I guess I was right after all.

raider1

Staff member
Typically a condo is not a townhome. In a condo situation the owner only owns the spaces inside of the wall areas. The attic and foundations in a condo situation would be common to the building.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.