Mulit Unit SER Feeders through attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I was kind of wrong on this one. IRC 317.2 states that each Townhouse shall be considered a separate building. That means you cannot pass a feeder through that building without a disconnecting means. The IBC requires all other multifamily dwellings to have sprinklers. There is no such thing as a condominum according to the ICC. So I guess I was right after all.
So, you thought you were wrong, but you were mistaken. :wink:

Jim Shorts

Typically a condo is not a townhome. In a condo situation the owner only owns the spaces inside of the wall areas. The attic and foundations in a condo situation would be common to the building.

Chris

Correct. But a condo is not addressed by the ICC. Ownership has no bearing on the type of occupancy. Condos would be treated the same as apartments.

If we are talking about feeders, there are some considerations.

If the attic or "common space" the feeder is installed in has no fire walls, it is generally permitted to install the feeders across those spaces. Again there may be local issues to deal with.

If one is penetrating fire walls, those fire walls are delineating separate buildings. Then it would be an issue.
1. running feeders through separate buildings as per the definition in Art 100 and a similar definition in most building codes.
2. If installing a feeder through the separate buildings is the only method available, then a disconnect is required. [225.31]

Last edited:

inspector 102

There might also be issues with easements if the SER crosses "property lines". It all depends on how the units are divided up. I am guessing this is one service with grouped disconnects serving load side panels. The building code may also define fire walls which may need firecaulking or fire seals for any penetrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.