ice machines and disconnects in hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I accept the manufacturers installation instructions. When necessary, I have means to see UL standards.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
most often by those wish we didn't perform the duties with which we are entrusted.

raider1

Staff member
And some wonder why inspectors are so despised.......

And why would requiring someone to follow the manufactures installation instructions make them despise the inspector?

I agree with Gus. If I see a cord and plug connected fastened in place appliance I ask to see the manufactures installation instructions.

I can't tell you how many times I have failed unit heater installations due to this very issue.

Chris

macmikeman

To me, this is much ado about nothing, howbiet, I have been able to purchase 240 volt raintight lockable non metalic pull out disconects from Home Depot for under $8 and I live where everything costs alot. That and the scraps of sealtight and thhn found under the rubble at the bottom of my van and 15 minutes of wasted labor to keep him feeling superior would be my way to go about this. When I bid I put CONTINGENCY into each bid for such annoyances. If it is a + $1,000 dollar usless fix to keep an inspector happy and its not a clear code thing, I'll try to fight it.

Rewire

Show me code reference and I will capitulate but if you are just giving an opinion of what you feel it says then the fight is on. Any inspector who told me I needed a diconnect just because the cord was not provided had better bring his code book or me and his boss would be having a long conversation.

raider1

Staff member
Show me code reference and I will capitulate but if you are just giving an opinion of what you feel it says then the fight is on. Any inspector who told me I needed a diconnect just because the cord was not provided had better bring his code book or me and his boss would be having a long conversation.

Let me set the record straight, I am not stating that a separate disconnect is required with a cord and plug connected appliance.

My point in this thread is that an appliance must be intended or identified by the manufacture for cord and plug connection. If this is not indicated by the manufacture then you can't simply put a cord on an appliance and use 400.7(A)(8) to justify the installation.

Chris

bradleyelectric

Let me set the record straight, I am not stating that a separate disconnect is required with a cord and plug connected appliance.

My point in this thread is that an appliance must be intended or identified by the manufacture for cord and plug connection. If this is not indicated by the manufacture then you can't simply put a cord on an appliance and use 400.7(A)(8) to justify the installation.

Chris

I'm just not sure that it would specify a 1900 box and toggle switch with a whip of a specified type or any other type of normally accepted disconnect either. If the documentation didn't specify or prohibit type of disconnect to use, I'm not sure how you justify determining what type you'd accept.

raider1

Staff member
I'm just not sure that it would specify a 1900 box and toggle switch with a whip of a specified type or any other type of normally accepted disconnect either. If the documentation didn't specify or prohibit type of disconnect to use, I'm not sure how you justify determining what type you'd accept.

My point is that if the manufactue did not specify that the appliance is designed for cord and plug connection then you can't use 400.7(A)(8) to justify the use of a cord and plug for the appliance.

Chris

bradleyelectric

My point is that if the manufactue did not specify that the appliance is designed for cord and plug connection then you can't use 400.7(A)(8) to justify the use of a cord and plug for the appliance.

Chris

My point is I'm betting they didn't specify toggle switch or any other means of disconnect and cord and plug is a means of disconnect.

iwire

Staff member
My point is I'm betting they didn't specify toggle switch or any other means of disconnect and cord and plug is a means of disconnect.

The point is, the NEC does not require that appliances be identified for use with a switch.

However

The NEC does require appliances to be 'identified' for use with a cord. 400.7(8)

JES2727

Here's an ice machine install I saw recently. Do it just like this one and you should be fine.....

icemachine.jpg

JES2727

Many years ago, as a young boy, I spent many summers in and around the town where this ice machine sits. Never took any notice of it. Then one day, maybe two years ago, I was walking by with my family and it was practically screaming at me to take it's picture. Where I once saw an ice machine next to a liquor store I now see a code violation. It happens everywhere I go.....

Status
Not open for further replies.