Receptacle for electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I have a blue print for a house that calls for a 220 v receptacle, for a car charger, and it lists no amp rating, or nema configuration. I was wondering if there is a standard for electric cars, or a best guess. Homeowner has no clue and doesn't even know what make of car they may get.

zog

IBEW was offering training at one point for EV's, not sure if they still are but this is something most EC's will run across in Obamaland I am guessing. Not me, I would rather walk than have less than 8 cylinders,

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Thank you for the quick replies, it looks like there is no receptacle required, just a connection to hard wire a charger to, like a kitchen range would get. Until they start making 3/4 ton vans , that can tow a 23' trailer, in EV I'm sticking with gas.

drive1968

I hard-wired a charger for a Tesla motors car. The charger could vary the charge times of the car based on the amp-rating of the breaker. I installed a 50 amp setup because this is all the load the existing electrical setup could handle, but the charger would have accepted up to 90 amps.

mpoulton

I have a blue print for a house that calls for a 220 v receptacle, for a car charger, and it lists no amp rating, or nema configuration. I was wondering if there is a standard for electric cars, or a best guess. Homeowner has no clue and doesn't even know what make of car they may get.

Can you just run an empty 2.5" pipe from that location to the panel, and leave it for later? Without knowing what they are installing, you really can't tell what to put in. Some experimental charging systems require hundreds of amps and can adjust their current draw to match the full available capacity of the service. This is the only way to charge an EV in a reasonably short time. Most presently available chargers use under 100A, but in the future that may not be true.

cycotcskir

There are some other issues to consider. I assume that this is inside a Garage. Article 480 - Storage Batteries, 480.9A - Venthilation, 334.12 (NM), 340.12 (UF), 348.12 (FMC), 360.12 (FMT), 410.101C4 (Track Lighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.