Interior exterior walls that are furred out with 7/8" furring strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a new project where the GC wants to fur out the exterior walls on the interior side with 7/8" thick furring strips and then use 1/2" drywall. Does anyone know of a way to facilitate the installation of receptacles (including GFI's) and light fixtures without reccessing a 1 1/2" box into the block? (CMU exterior walls) It seems someone would make a box thats 7/8" deep and then we can use a 1/2" plaster ring? (can't find one available?) Would this meet the criteria of article 314.24(C)(4)? Is the 1 3/16" depth requement measured from the face of the plaster ring or the face of the box itself? Any help is appreciated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Who furrs out walls with furring strips? You can buy 1 5/8" metal studs which do a much better job and only take up an additional 3/4" of space on each wall.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . the GC wants to fur out the exterior walls on the interior side with 7/8" thick furring strips and then use 1/2" drywall.
Suggest that the GC's cost would be cheaper if he glues the rock to the wall like wall paper, and therefore there is no need for electrical wiring. . . . or else, allow for the requirements of the wiriing, which in my opinion, is 2 x 2 furring or holes in the block.

iwire

Staff member
Bust out the block and use bracket boxes.

Use the sluggo or a demo hammer. space the wires from the furring strips.

Bingo, that is how it's done.

Who furrs out walls with furring strips? You can buy 1 5/8" metal studs which do a much better job and only take up an additional 3/4" of space on each wall.

Many buildings in my area are designed that way and it makes our job much more difficult.

Suggest that the GC's cost would be cheaper if he glues the rock to the wall like wall paper, and therefore there is no need for electrical wiring. . . ..

Here it is not the GCs, it is the architects getting every inch of space they can.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here it is not the GCs, it is the architects getting every inch of space they can.

If it's my house I'll give up the extra 3/4" to keep the electrician from bashing holes in my foundation. :roll:

Aren't there energy codes that would require insulation in these walls too?

satcom

Furring strips takes me back to the fifties, and do it yourself jobs.

mcclary's electrical

Suggest that the GC's cost would be cheaper if he glues the rock to the wall like wall paper, and therefore there is no need for electrical wiring. . . . or else, allow for the requirements of the wiriing, which in my opinion, is 2 x 2 furring or holes in the block.

Gluing sheetrock does not exempt you from putting receptacles on that wall,,,,,It's still a wall line.

hillbilly

Last week I installed some lights and 2 receptacles in closet/utility in a old stone building.
No stone cutting allowed..

The carpenter used 3/4" furring strips and covered them with 3/4" tongue and groove....1 1/2" depth for me.

I wound up using 2 1/4" deep, white, weather proof boxes and leaving 3/4" sticking out of the wall.

I wired it with 12/2 MC., and cut a small notch in the back of the board so that the MC fittting would clear the wood when I pushed the box in.

I caulked the opening, and the wall was painted white.
The end product looked pretty good.:smile:
The customer was satisfied.:grin:

Just a idea.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.