Yet another Ufer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kid993

A major homebuilder in my area does not use any steel in their footers. The local inspector says I must ADD a CCE since no steel exists. I argued that it must be used "when present" but that 250.50 does not require one to be added. Id like to hear what the members of this board think before i go to the builder and tell him to stop pouring footers

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Since you need a grounding electrode anyway, wouldn't it be easier to lay 20' of #4 bare in the footing rather than driving two ground rods later on? I know where you are coming from with an inspector that is trying to force you to something that is not required however.

kid993

It would be easier and I usually do, but sometimes I dont have time to go put one in. They form and pour in about 2 or 3 hours

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I find it odd that they don't put steel in the footings. These houses must be on slabs. Is this a monolithic pour where they do the footing and slab all at once?

radiopet

A major homebuilder in my area does not use any steel in their footers. The local inspector says I must ADD a CCE since no steel exists. I argued that it must be used "when present" but that 250.50 does not require one to be added. Id like to hear what the members of this board think before i go to the builder and tell him to stop pouring footers
I agree with your position on this. If it is not their at all then it can never be present. As for being easier....Ground Rod(s) and Helper with Large Hammer Drill...Priceless.

newinspector1

I find it odd that they don't put steel in the footings. These houses must be on slabs. Is this a monolithic pour where they do the footing and slab all at once?

In NC steel is not required in some areas, although most builders do use steel. On a monolithic pour it is required.

walton

Not required by the NEC but make sure there are no local codes that apply. In Sacramento County the Adopted Techincal Code requires ufers on all new structures.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen #3 rebar on some jobs . #3 rebar doesn't require a CEE since it's less than 1/2". There is no requirement to make a CEE if one is not present. Inspector is wrong on this one.

ivsenroute

You are correct and the inspector is wrong unless they have an adopted ordinance the requires it.

You would be smart to put 20' of #4 bare copper in simply because it is easier and better than ground rods.

Show him you are right and go ahead and pound those rods in.

brandon2177k

Around here the builder stubs a peice of rebar out the top of bsmt wall. It is city ordinance to use the ufer, and we have no choice but to connect at this point. I feel this is wrong, we should be connecting to the rebar in the footer, there's no guarantee that the rebar in wall is directly connected to the rebar in footer. What do you guys think??

Cavie

Around here the builder stubs a peice of rebar out the top of bsmt wall. It is city ordinance to use the ufer, and we have no choice but to connect at this point. I feel this is wrong, we should be connecting to the rebar in the footer, there's no guarantee that the rebar in wall is directly connected to the rebar in footer. What do you guys think??

If the inspection is done right, it is connected to the footer.

Status
Not open for further replies.