Status
Not open for further replies.

SiddMartin

out of state electrictian did this.

Notice the neutral taped green and no ground bar for any of the grounds
(sub panel)

SiddMartin

short story behind this:

the electrcian first pulled 4/0 5 wire SER (yes, 5 wire), through the pipe to feed the panels. That ofcourse was red flagged and they had to pull it all out and re-do.

Wish i would have taken a pic of the reel of 4/0 that laid there on the floor, hah, was pretty funny.

480sparky

I didn't know steel studs were listed for use as reducing washers.

Black - Yellow - Blue - Green???????

Set-screw connector to rigid coupler to reducing bushing to compression connector to raceway to set-screw connector to hack-made reducing washers....... MAN that's taking the long road.

Last edited:

hurk27

guess someone didn't realize 3" EMT won't fit into a panel thats only >4" deep over all.:roll:

our POCO tried to require us to use 4" conduit when we had to run the conduit from the meter to where they could reach it with there equipment, or when going under driveways, well it only took one time for me to call there engineer and ask him to come out and show me how to get this pipe into a 200 amp meter socket, even a 3" wouldn't fit, so it wound up being a 2 1/2":roll:

Is that a pull string left in the conduit? like they think some time in the future they are going to get more wire in it?

Last edited:

hurk27

I just caught the "sub-panel" part.

Ok if this is ser, is the pipe continuous? if not where is the grounding conductor if the neutral is taped green?

why would you pull SER in a race way:roll: unless the pipe wasn't continuous?:roll:

masterinbama

In pic # 4 where is the locknut? All I see is a grounding bushing.

BTW these guys weren't from Southern Ohio were they. I hired a sub there once and that's about the quality we got out of them.

Last edited:

LJSMITH1

Use of Bonding/Grounding Bushings

Use of Bonding/Grounding Bushings

When a metal (die cast or steel) EMT/Rigid connector is used and mounted to an enclosure, the fitting locknut supplied must be used to properly secure the fitting to the enclosure. Using a bonding bushing in place of the fitting locknut is not listed for that purpose. While 300.4 (G) specifically addresses NM bushings are not to be used to secure conduit or fittings, it also does not specifically allow metallic bonding/grounding bushings to be used in lieu of a fitting or raceway locknut. Also, the UL Whitebook, Sec. (KDER), also does not mention anything about a bonding/grounding bushing being used to fasten a raceway/fitting to an enclosure.

The governing listing specification, UL467 - Grounding and Bonding Equipment, requires metallic grounding bushings to be electrically bonded to the fitting or raceway via one or more setscrews. There are no pull test requirements or other mechanical tests that would indicate that the bushing is used for securing raceways or fittings to enclosures. However, all fittings and related locknuts, are governed by UL514B and have specific mechanical requirements such as pull, torque, and bend tests.

When additional grounding or bonding of a raceway is required, then the installation of a bonding or grounding bushing on top of the secured fitting or raceway locknut, would be the preferred solution. Or a combination of a single bonding/grounding locknut, combined with an NM insulating bushing would also provide a similar requirement.

I must say that the picture shows a very creative way to reduce EMT and another use of steel stud scrap...:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.