Main becomes Subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

A meter/panel is located on the side of house where garage is added (attached). Owner wants service to relocate outside garage.

This makes the old location a subpanel (200amp).

I am gonna make the new location a 200 amp panel, so does the new subpanel get protected with a 125 amp breaker?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You would feed it with a circuit adequate for the load with the wire sized per 310.16 and the appropriate breaker.
Note that the old panel might now need a seperate ground and neutral conductor run depending on which Code cycle is enforced and the provisions of 250.32

euclid43

Doesn't the subpanel have to be rated lower than the new 200 amp service? In other words, I don't think I am allowed to have a 200 amp service with a 200 amp subpanel, correct? If no, I am wondering if the subpanel is 80% of the main, or something.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Doesn't the subpanel have to be rated lower than the new 200 amp service? In other words, I don't think I am allowed to have a 200 amp service with a 200 amp subpanel, correct? If no, I am wondering if the subpanel is 80% of the main, or something.

not correct. You rate the old sub panel based on the wire size and sub panel ratings.
What out you some (most)main service panels have a limit to the size of a Branch breaker. I have seen some al low as 75 amps. You can purchase a Meter main combo with feed thru lugs which will give you 200 at the sub.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only rule effecting the size of the circuit to the subpanel of which I am aware is to feed it for the calculated load as a minimum.
As SierraSparky pointed out, your garage panel could be a feed-thru and you could maintain the full 200 amp rating on the existing sub panel (provided it's fed by a 200 amp conductor)
You really need to start by determining the load on the existing panel and the proposed load on the added garage and build accordingly.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can have a 200 amp panel and feed 10 --200 amp panels from the first one as long as the load is calculated properly and protected properly.

bob

Why can you not install just the meter and a 200 amp service and run the cable on the outside of the house to the existing location?

celtic

I'll be the voice of disagreement here :cool:

Where can you find a 200A 1? resi panel w/MCB that will allow another 200A CB to be installed ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'll be the voice of disagreement here :cool:

Where can you find a 200A 1? resi panel w/MCB that will allow another 200A CB to be installed ;)
200 amp main breaker panel with fed thru lugs but I think we are talking code not the logistics to make it happen.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
both Square d and Murray make a meter combo 200 amp with a 20 space load center with feed thru lugs

celtic

658280_front500.jpg

That's a breaker.

Now show us what 200A 1? panel will accept it....
....and don't forget ~ modifying the cover is probably a 110.3(B) no-no :)
....and those pesky wire bending requirements.....

mcclary's electrical

658280_front500.jpg

That's a breaker.

Now show us what 200A 1? panel will accept it....
....and don't forget ~ modifying the cover is probably a 110.3(B) no-no :)
....and those pesky wire bending requirements.....

It doesn't have to be done with a breaker, I've got a set of double pole lugs, that plug right to the bus, just like a breaker does, and you can fit 4/0 al in them. They look like blanks when the panel cover is on. The wires are protected by the main.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It doesn't have to be done with a breaker, I've got a set of double pole lugs, that plug right to the bus, just like a breaker does, and you can fit 4/0 al in them. They look like blanks when the panel cover is on. The wires are protected by the main.

that would be the same as feed through lugs , I would prefer lugs to a push in connection any day.

justdavemamm

You would feed it with a circuit adequate for the load with the wire sized per 310.16 and the appropriate breaker.
Note that the old panel might now need a seperate ground and neutral conductor run depending on which Code cycle is enforced and the provisions of 250.32

And wouldn't you have to separate the [possible] connection of the grounds and neutrals in the panel, ie. not have the neutrals grounded there?

Status
Not open for further replies.