Replacement Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

Recently, I replaced a Federal Pacific Panel with a square D, and noticed that the feeder wire has no ground from the meter to the subpanel in the basement. Furthermore, the range (oven), dryer branch circuits do not have a ground either.

Am I required to bring this installation up to code, or can I just replace the panel as is and bond the neutral at the meter and the sub?

TOOL_5150

Recently, I replaced a Federal Pacific Panel with a square D, and noticed that the feeder wire has no ground from the meter to the subpanel in the basement. Furthermore, the range (oven), dryer branch circuits do not have a ground either.

Am I required to bring this installation up to code, or can I just replace the panel as is and bond the neutral at the meter and the sub?

In CA, you can just replace the panel without any grief.

~Matt

cpal

when you use the term sub panel it might indicate that you are down stream from the service equipment.
actually the code does not use the term sub-panel.

if the fpe panel you are replacing has the main it. By definition it is the service eq. In that case the grounded circuit conductor may act as your ground from the meter enclosure to the panel and at that panel you may let all the egc's and neutrals be on the same bar (so to say)

read 250.24, and 250 142 carefully and ask more questions.

you might also read 250.92 fro bonding.

euclid43

The electrical system was in place (ie. main disconnect breaker chased to the meter) and the panel with branch ckts located in basement. My question is whether I inherit a job where I have to install grounding or can I just leave it as is and replace Fed Pacific panels. There are no grounding conductors.

There's always a disconnect at the service.

euclid43

Let's say that I am obligated (required) to install grounding...what should I then do with the circuits that have no grounding (i.e. dryer, range, etc.)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
euclid, I apologize, sometimes I don't read well, but I am still unsure if this panel is a service or "sub" panel. Is there a main breaker at the meter or is this panel the service panel containing the ONLY main ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's say that I am obligated (required) to install grounding...what should I then do with the circuits that have no grounding (i.e. dryer, range, etc.)?
If these circuits are supplied by what is now a sub-panel, they should be rewired with 4-wire circuits, including receptacles and cords and plugs if not hard-wired.

euclid43

Augie, all services have a main breaker.

From the meter there's a main breaker. From the breaker is the feeders going to the panel in basement. None of this system has grounding conductors.

I fail to see why any contractor would take on this job where branch circuits and feeder wire will have to be replaced in order to have new panel upgrade from condemned Federal Pacific Panel.

I can feasibly run a ground to the panel, but rewiring the circuits seems ludicrous. I am gonna walk away from this job.

TOOL_5150

As far as branch circuits, I would leave them, but changing out the panel, I feel the feeder has to be brought to code as well.

~Matt

euclid43

Can someone share their thoughts on viable options for branch circuits not having a ground installed from a panel that does not have grounding as well. The wire going to range and dryer are 3-wire cable w/o any metal sheathing, etc.

I am going to install a 4 wire system to the panel, but find it hard to imagine installing a ground to all ckts without major overhaul.

Do I inherit the responsibility of branch circuits when I do a panel change?

Status
Not open for further replies.