LB below

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanwalker

Not tryng to start anything. BUT I had to pass a LB 5 feet down. This is a first for me and if you already know SORRY! From the manufacture a LB can be buried if encased in concrete, this comes in writing. THANKS for listening GEO

Not tryng to start anything. BUT I had to pass a LB 5 feet down. This is a first for me and if you already know SORRY! From the manufacture a LB can be buried if encased in concrete, this comes in writing. THANKS for listening GEO

Yes it can be encased in concrete and not accesible as long as there are no conductors in it.

Yes the LB can be encased in concrete and is rated as stated, as long as the cover is accessible.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Without knowing exactly what the installation looked like or what the reason was for burying the LB all we can do is make assumptions. So, the OP has to make some clarifications. Anyway, here's my assumption :

Putting the NEC aside for a moment, let's think about the logic of this. Why was an LB used in the first place ? Ease of pulling wires or making a conduit installation close to a wall ? Then ask yourself why would you completely submerse an LB in concrete with no access to the cover ? If you had to remove damaged wires or add wiring between points, the chances of getting wiring in or out through an LB with no access to the cover are a shot in a thousand depending on the type of wiring you're using. You're certainly not going to get a snake to make a hard 90. If you have larger conductors in the conduit body you're out of luck. If you had to bury a fitting why not use a std. 90 degree elbow ?

Need more info Van.

brian john

Without knowing exactly what the installation looked like or what the reason was for burying the LB all we can do is make assumptions. So, the OP has to make some clarifications. Anyway, here's my assumption :

Putting the NEC aside for a moment, let's think about the logic of this. Why was an LB used in the first place ? Ease of pulling wires or making a conduit installation close to a wall ? Then ask yourself why would you completely submerse an LB in concrete with no access to the cover ?

Because you are a HACK, no where close to being an electrician just a unknowing buffoon.

If you had to remove damaged wires or add wiring between points, the chances of getting wiring in or out through an LB with no access to the cover are a shot in a thousand depending on the type of wiring you're using. You're certainly not going to get a snake to make a hard 90. If you have larger conductors in the conduit body you're out of luck. If you had to bury a fitting why not use a std. 90 degree elbow ?

Need more info Van.

The wire is in place permanently or till it shorts, because anyone that did this type of installation most likely utilized a hammer to make the cover fit.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
brian john said:
Because you are a HACK, no where close to being an electrician just a unknowing buffoon.
:confused:I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not but I'm not going to take offense (unless you tell me that it was). ;) Until then, I'm going to assume you were talking about the actual installation.
The wire is in place permanently or till it shorts, because anyone that did this type of installation most likely utilized a hammer to make the cover fit.
That just made me think of something else. Was the gasket used on the LB or did the installer glue the cover on. :confused: Would it matter ?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
:confused:I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not but I'm not going to take offense (unless you tell me that it was). ;)

When I read Brian's comment, I instantly saw how it could be read two ways. :D

I'm pretty darned sure he was speaking about the same nonexistent third-party "you" as you were in your post.
"Why would 'you' install it that way?"
"Because 'you' are a hack!"

Was the gasket used on the LB or did the installer glue the cover on. :confused:
Nothing else could surprise me, I can't believe someone would install an LB embedded in concrete. :roll:

If your going to bury the LB, why not just use direct bury cable and save some money. Same type of installation, install conductors and if they go bad dig it up to install new.

I have seen installations where the EC was told the grade would be at X grade, and the final grade was much higher.

There was a picture of a meter enclosure buried below grade that was posted on this site some time back.

ivsenroute

What bothers me is that the OP stated "I had to pass....".

Especially on a known, non-compliant installation right down to knowing the exact depth of the LB.

Please explain.

As for the post about "because you are a hack...." it was obviouly targeted at the unknown third person who did the installation. I had to think about it for a second though. Maybe better clarification in future posts will help.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ivensroute said:
As for the post about "because you are a hack...." it was obviouly targeted at the unknown third person who did the installation. I had to think about it for a second though. Maybe better clarification in future posts will help.
If you had to think about then it wasn't obvious.:roll: I had to read it several times myself and I truly don't believe that there was any attempt by Brian to cast disparaging remarks towards me. Just trying to poke fun and get a rise out of Brian.:D

SEO

I agree with the others that the LB shall be installed per section 314.29. If the LB is listed for concrete encasement the LB body could be encased in concrete as long as section 314.29 is not compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.