6 3/O in 2.5" Emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

The code allows 8 3/0 in 2.5" Emt I want to pull 6, Existing run, time will be very tight. Pulling out old 2/0 pulling in new 3/0 Would you do it? Or would you increase pipe size. Thanks

arnettda

It is from basement up to first floor. Was going to look for tugger. Do you think it possible to pull by man power?

wireguru

It is from basement up to first floor. Was going to look for tugger. Do you think it possible to pull by man power?

dont you want to be doing it first floor down to basement?

(just dont have a spool of anything heavy set up feeding into a conduit that goes straight down 12 floors. I um heard a guy had a problem when he did that :roll: )

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use a tugger and pull up. Dropping six-3/0's-90' would require some kind of brake at the top to hold back the weight.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would use a tugger and pull up. Dropping six-3/0's-90' would require some kind of brake at the top to hold back the weight.
Why? You have me confused since the o\pull is from the basement to the first floor it would appear that tje pull is no 90 feet vertical.

arnettda

Space for wire or reals is an issue pulling down. And there is probally 30ft of gutter downstairs to feed it through, so pulling up would be a little less pulling. The actual rise of the run is 25-30ft.

hardworkingstiff

So, a 30' rise x 6 conductors x 2 lbs. per foot (approx.) = 360 lbs of wire to be lifted when pulling up. You also have to overcome friction and that physics law that says things at rest tend to stay at rest.

A tugger can do it easily, but if you can set up a pulley, 3 guys (probably 2) on a rope should be able to handle it. You will probably need 2 in the basement too.

wireguru

So, a 30' rise x 6 conductors x 2 lbs. per foot (approx.) = 360 lbs of wire to be lifted when pulling up. You also have to overcome friction and that physics law that says things at rest tend to stay at rest.

A tugger can do it easily, but if you can set up a pulley, 3 guys (probably 2) on a rope should be able to handle it. You will probably need 2 in the basement too.

3/0 THWN is 574lb per 1000ft. So 30 feet of 6x 3/0 THWN is only 103lb give or take.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why? You have me confused since the o\pull is from the basement to the first floor it would appear that tje pull is no 90 feet vertical.

I missed the part about it only being from one floor to another. Even so a tugger makes this a two man job, pulling by hand may involve three or four men.

CopperTone

once had to pull 3 - 4/0 through 2 " pvc conduit - 2 guys by hand - 15 ft with 2 - 90's - almost couldn't do it.

my point is - use a tugger. if you don't have one - buy one - you might be doing electrical work for a while - great investment.

You probably would need 6 guys to make that pull by hand. 2 guys with a tugger.

arnettda

Whats the load that is going to applied to these 3/0's?

Just curious why there are 6 in the run?

3 phase conductors and neutral, Specs call for Iso gnd and Gnd to be same size as phase conductors. It is for a CT scanner in a hospital. Is this normal for gnds to be same size as phase cond? Thanks fr all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.