Dimmer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Someone asked me if you could put a 600W dimmer on a 20A 120V circuit.
I've not looked at the code yet.

What do you guys say?

Thanks,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The same thing would apply to a snap switch. You could have a 15 amp switch on a 20 amp circuit.

Sharpie

Thanks guys for the replies.
It still seems a little funny to me that a 20A branch circuit has to have wire no smaller than 12 AWG, yet you can stick a 15A (or 600W for that matter) device that controls down stream loads on that 20A circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks guys for the replies.
It still seems a little funny to me that a 20A branch circuit has to have wire no smaller than 12 AWG, yet you can stick a 15A (or 600W for that matter) device that controls down stream loads on that 20A circuit.

The load downstream cannot be greater then the 15 amp( or 600 watt dimmer) switch so that issue is not a problem.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Common sharpie has a great point. If I decide my load is going to be only 1 amp I still have to have 12awg but I can put in a 1 amp rated switch??
Yes but a switch is not overcurrent protection. The circuit is protect at the 20 amps. The switch will break down only from load side current. I can't imagine what it would be like if we had to have 2000 watt dimmers for every dimmer

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Yes but a switch is not overcurrent protection. The circuit is protect at the 20 amps.

I was comparing the switch to the wire... not the OCPD. Why should any wire on the load side of the switch be required to have a rating higher than the switch?

The switch will break down only from load side current.

Not sure what this means... unless you are referring to a short on the line side of the switch not effecting the switch...

I can't imagine what it would be like if we had to have 2000 watt dimmers for every dimmer

I agree it just doesn't make sense...

Sharpie

That's kinda my point. If you can put a 15A switch in a 20A branch circuit, then why can't the wire on the load side of the switch be 14AWG? We do the same sort of thing with motor loads. and what about an appliance cord being 18 or 16 AWG? If the lighting on the load side is designed properly, what's the difference from these other examples?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The reason for the max rating on switches is different than what it is used for in conductors.

The max rating of a switch is not only the amount of current it can carry, but the amount of load that can be placed on the contacts while making and breaking for the expected life of the switch. The DC rating of a switch will always be lower than the AC rating, but the same is not true of a conductor.

If a switch fails due to excess current, the arc and damage will be constrained to the switch and/or the enclosure and will result in an open circuit, disconnecting the load.

If a conductor fails due to excess current the conductor will become a heating element. If it is not in conduit the hot conductor may start a structure fire. If it is in conduit, the insulation will melt causing conductors to become shorted. This can either create more damage to the conductors or it may energize a conductor that is not supposed to be energized.

A switch rated at 15 amps will carry much more than that while closed and can carry a bit more than that while being switched, it's just that the excess current will shorten the life of the contacts.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
If a switch fails due to excess current, the arc and damage will be constrained to the switch and/or the enclosure and will result in an open circuit, disconnecting the load.

JMO but I disagree to the implication that the over current condition on the switch has less potential to do damage than the same current applied to similarly rated wiring on the load side of the switch. Just speculation but I think because of the switching contacts the switch also has the potential to fail before the wire (assuming similar rating and similar over current)

Status
Not open for further replies.