The nerve of this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I was called to a job to hook up some wires. (No details)
When I got their the contractor had wired the whole house, with no license no permits and no inspections.
He just wanted me to unhook the old service mast and hook the utilities wires to the new mast and wires.
This guy was hired by the Home owner as a general contractor.

He complete installed all new wiring, all new ac and duct, all new plumbing,
He's in for a suprise. First thing Monday I'm letting the State Boards know about this.
It's been my expierence the locaj AHJ's will just tell them to get a permit and not do it any more.

cadpoint

While the board might well open a file on this guy and maybe even proceed to some legal course of action.
You have to remember that the rules are for those play by the rules and suffage is not always the same
as for those that are not in the Club!

Needless to say the blame and other faults can be spread around!
IMO, the Owner is really subjecting themselves to the bulk of the legal actions, I find the fault there.
By State Law the owner can build, or GC their own structure but it is still subject to inspection, with licensed
services required on three of the said services completed.

Granted not all counties are the same in respects to paying attention to such matters, but theres alot of Laws,
Codes and Standards that do exist. You should not just call the eletrical board, cause thats not all the laws that the "builder" broke.

mcclary's electrical

I would call the AHJ, but also, I would report him to the state contractors board. He might have some type of license that can be repremanded.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not sure how things work in NC but here in NJ doing work without an electrical license will get you not only a hard slap on the wrist but also a $1K fine (first offense) if the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors finds you guilty of doing such work. If you are found guilty a second time there's jail time. It's a 4th degree felony.

Anyway, homeowners here are permitted to do their own electrical work as long as they take out a permit and get the work inspected. Having said that and in your case, if the HO took out the permit and had the GC do the work you'll be hard pressed to find them guilty of anything.

IMHO, and as a licensed electrical contractor, I wouldn't do any work on this project. "You touch it - you own it". If you don't touch it and in a month from now when the house burns down they won't find your company's name anywhere on file.

Just my 2 cents worth:cool:

growler

It's been my expierence the local AHJ's will just tell them to get a permit and not do it any more.

The first thing off, you did tell the homeowner that he shouldn't make any more payments to this guy didn't you? Because when this gets as nasty as it can get the homeowner is not going to be a happy camper. This guy probably isn't going to get paid ( final) and may even end up in court for money already paid.

This may all sound like a slap on the wrist but it can get pretty expensive. If you call the local AHJ and have them issue a stop work order the guy can't fininsh the work. They just about have to call the power company and have the meter pulled because the wiring has not been inspected.

If the local authorities really want to they can condemn this house right now and make the owner get a new certificate of occupancy ( if they so choose ). If they only make him get a permit then the days of the homeowner permit are over ( he didn't do the work himself) so no homeowner permit. He now has to find contractors that are willing to put their name on the line for work done by this guy, not an easy thing to do.
If they opened walls and didn't fish all the wiring then the walls will need to be opened or get a PE to sign off and take responsibility for the work. Even if the cables were fished not many contractors are going to accept that this guy did a good job and take responsibility for the job.

What sounds like a slap on the wrist can cost both the homeowner and this contractor many thousands of dollars. By the time this is over the homeowner will wish he had never herd of this contractor.

Just make sure that an inspector gets out there and issues a stop work order and no one can touch the job until it's permitted and these people are screwed.

They won't hang him but it will hit him real hard in the wallet.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm not sure how things work in NC but here in NJ doing work without an electrical license will get you not only a hard slap on the wrist but also a $1K fine (first offense) if the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors finds you guilty of doing such work. If you are found guilty a second time there's jail time. It's a 4th degree felony.

That's pretty much the same as NC, here is an example

CASE FILE NUMBER:
2008-67
NON-LICENSEE: xxxxxxxxxxx
d/b/a xxxxx-xxxxxx Heating and Cooling
ADDRESS: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx, NC 28xxx
VIOLATION:

Engaging in the business of
electrical contracting without license in violation of
Court Order.
COURT ACTION:

Court action instituted in
xxx xxxxxxxx County Court resulting in entry of Order of Contempt
on February 9, 2009, finding Mr. xxxxxxxx
guilty of criminal contempt of the prior order of the
Court (Permanent Injunction Order entered by the
Court on November 28, 2001). The Court sentenced
Defendant to be incarcerated thirty (30) consecutive
days in the xxx xxxxxxxx County Jail which
sentence is not to be served concurrently with any
other Jail sentence(s) and is to begin following the
completion of Defendant?s current incarceration
with the Department of Corrections.
The Court issued an Order of Arrest directing the
Sheriff to arrest Mr. xxxxxxxx at the conclusion of a
separate sentence being served in the Department of
Corrections.
The Court further ordered that the Permanent
Injunction Order previously entered by the Court on
November 28, 2001 remain in effect at all times as
defendant does not possess a license from the
Board. The matter was retained for the entry of
further orders as necessary.
EFFECTIVE DATE:

February 9, 2009​

I removed the name and addresses however, you can read the whole unedited news letter with other cases at the link below.

http://www.ncbeec.org/uploads/18ac11ae-7491-60f6.pdf

Roger

ceb58

I was called to a job to hook up some wires. (No details)
When I got their the contractor had wired the whole house, with no license no permits and no inspections.
He just wanted me to unhook the old service mast and hook the utilities wires to the new mast and wires.
This guy was hired by the Home owner as a general contractor.

He complete installed all new wiring, all new ac and duct, all new plumbing,
He's in for a suprise. First thing Monday I'm letting the State Boards know about this.
It's been my expierence the locaj AHJ's will just tell them to get a permit and not do it any more.

The "unhook old , hook up new" was the first red flag. I do not, will not touch poco wire. It's there job,responsibility to make those connections but they will not without inspections.
Turn the guy in. If the AHJ makes him pull permits then have it inspected and let the HO call Progress, Duke power or who ever for a reconnect if it passes. That way your name is no where on the job.
As a side note have you received the new newsletter from the board. A lot of people paying big money, probation and some jail time for exactly what you have described

Buck Parrish

Yes , I just recieved my newsletter. Perhaps this guy's name will be in it next time. In the morning I will fax a complaint form to the board.
Also will go to the local AHJ's
I was wondering why work had slowed down so much. Besides the economy. This guy is driving a new van. One of the guys working at the job said he had plenty of work.
Every Tom, Dick and Harry are out their doing it with out a license.
Rental property managers and their maintnance are the worst.

I understand some areas of the country don't require a license. This state does.

ceb58

Yes , I just recieved my newsletter. Perhaps this guy's name will be in it next time. In the morning I will fax a complaint form to the board.
Also will go to the local AHJ's
I was wondering why work had slowed down so much. Besides the economy. This guy is driving a new van. One of the guys working at the job said he had plenty of work.
Every Tom, Dick and Harry are out their doing it with out a license.
Rental property managers and their maintnance are the worst.

I understand some areas of the country don't require a license. This state does.

Don't know what county this is taking place in but you could also contact one of the board's field reps. I would also let the local AHJ know that you are contacting the state board. May give them more "incentive" to act.

I am glad you are turning him in.

He probably had some tradesman wire it up for him as a side job.

In North Carolina you cannot even bid on electrical work without a license.

B4T

General Contractors and Kitchen Installers like to do the whole job themselves

Just go into a HD or Lowes and they are there loading up the cart for a complete make over

More than once I asked a HO if a electrician did the wiring of a new kitchen or bathroom and the answer was NO :mad:

bbaumer

General Contractors and Kitchen Installers like to do the whole job themselves

Just go into a HD or Lowes and they are there loading up the cart for a complete make over

More than once I asked a HO if a electrician did the wiring of a new kitchen or bathroom and the answer was NO :mad:

In most areas of my state, Indiana, no license is required but a permit almost always it.

Even in most locations with a license requirement Joe HomeOwner does not have to have one to work on his own house. Still has to pull a permit though.

Doesn't sound like that is the case in NC though. Just an observation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Doesn't sound like that is the case in NC though. Just an observation.

Actually in NC a permit is required for almost every electrical installation, even if it's just adding a receptacle. A home owner can pull permits and do work on their residence, other than that it must be a licensed EC

Roger

Kdog76

Just today I got a call from a guy, he & some guys built some rooms in an unfinished basement (brother-in-laws house), wired it, drywalled it (I believe) & finished it over the weekend.
Today they had the building inspector over and he asked who did the electrical work. The owner did (supposedly), but had no permits or inspections. Inspector says they need to get a licensed electrician to 'sign off' on it.
I'm going to at least look at this mess...As far as signing off on ANY of it, NO WAY! If the walls are finished, too bad. Have to either pull the rock off the walls or fish in all new wire...NO WAY would I jepordize my 2 favorite things in life: MY Liability insurance & MY contractors license.
(B.T.W. - they even said they could "throw me a few bucks for the favor" WOW!) what nice guys...:mad:

480sparky

Just today I got a call from a guy, he & some guys built some rooms in an unfinished basement (brother-in-laws house), wired it, drywalled it (I believe) & finished it over the weekend.
Today they had the building inspector over and he asked who did the electrical work. The owner did (supposedly), but had no permits or inspections. Inspector says they need to get a licensed electrician to 'sign off' on it.
I'm going to at least look at this mess...As far as signing off on ANY of it, NO WAY! If the walls are finished, too bad. Have to either pull the rock off the walls or fish in all new wire...NO WAY would I jepordize my 2 favorite things in life: MY Liability insurance & MY contractors license.
(B.T.W. - they even said they could "throw me a few bucks for the favor" WOW!) what nice guys...:mad:

Give them a quote to meg out the entire job. Then make sure all the joints are done up right. Map everything out and see if everything is fed properly and nothing is missing.

Don't have a megger? Include one in the price of the job.;)

Kdog76

Give them a quote to meg out the entire job. Then make sure all the joints are done up right. Map everything out and see if everything is fed properly and nothing is missing.

Don't have a megger? Include one in the price of the job.;)

Sounds like a plan... Not much experience with a megger though. Costly, I bet they are, you have a figure I could go off of?

Status
Not open for further replies.