The nerve of this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Sounds like a plan... Not much experience with a megger though. Costly, I bet they are, you have a figure I could go off of?

No way can I give you a number. I don't know what all you're up against. But at least you'll be able to get some well-paying work if they bite at your offer.

You could give them a price to meg & test everything, then it would be T&M if you find anything that needs attention.

c2500

At least NC will do something about the unlicensed guys. One state below (SC for you geographically challenged folks) it may take a year or more to get anything to happen.

I was at the city the other day asking the building inspector about a couple of things on a job I am bidding (I am also a licensed builder), and the subject of unlicensed work came up. His attitude was if the people are dumb enough to hire them, then they get what they deserve. We bantered a bit, but I see where he is coming from. Sadly, SC has taken the low road approach and is slack in enforcement. I even had received a slick post card from an unlicensed plumber..as in no state or business license, so I turned him in to the stae as well as city. I received a form letter saying they are investigating it, but don't contact them, they will contact me. Meanwhile, the guy still runs daily ads on craigslist. I even sent an email to the head enforcement guy after I was approached by an unlicensed guy who was acting as a builder wanting me to bid an electrical job. I received a song and dance reply. They jacked the license rates up, with promises of newsletters, and what have you, and all we get is ....well nothing. If you are in SC, forget the license, odds are you will never get caught.

North Carolina is definitely on the ball. At least there, they will bust the unlicensed ones and shut them down.

c2500

(I will now step off the soap box)

B4T

In most areas of my state, Indiana, no license is required but a permit almost always it.

Even in most locations with a license requirement Joe Homeowner does not have to have one to work on his own house. Still has to pull a permit though.

Doesn't sound like that is the case in NC though. Just an observation.

Around here a HO can do his own electrical work with no problem :mad:

BUT, he can not do any plumbing.. must hire a Licensed Plumber :-?

Makes very little sense, when was last time you heard of a person drowning inside of their home?? :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Around here a HO can do his own electrical work with no problem :mad:

BUT, he can not do any plumbing.. must hire a Licensed Plumber :-?

Makes very little sense, when was last time you heard of a person drowning inside of their home?? :roll:

The only reason in my opinion for licensed plumbing installs is to protect municipal water supply from contamination, other than that let them flood their property if they no not what they do. Electircal - let them burn down their own home if they wish Handymen - should not be allowed to flood someone else home or burn down another's property Although it may be good idea to flood the place in order to put out the fire:grin:

480sparky

The only reason in my opinion for licensed plumbing installs is to protect municipal water supply from contamination, other than that let them flood their property if they no not what they do. Electircal - let them burn down their own home if they wish Handymen - should not be allowed to flood someone else home or burn down another's property Although it may be good idea to flood the place in order to put out the fire:grin:

Well, there ya go! Hire both a hack plumber AND a hack electrician!

Their hack work will cancel each other out!

growler

I think sewer gases can be explosive or toxic , too.

Well it is methane gas and on some of the earlier crappers is when it was first discovered that smoking could be hazardous to your health.

I have been told that one of the main reasons that plumbing is considered so important is that potable water and proper waste disposal are considered very important when it comes to protecting public health. You know to keep from spreading disease. Most people can glue a couple of pipes togather but when it comes to a septic system there are not that many that know what they are doing. I have even seen plumbers that installed septic systems that should not have passed inspection, and I have seen homeowner that used lead solder to connect water pipes ( when in Rome ).

Buck Parrish

When I was in Indiana a couple of months a go I was suprised to see so much plumbing pipes used for electrical conduit.
Then I realized that it is easier to use plumbing fittings for electrical then it is to use electrical for plumbing:roll: It is very rual. Minimum 1 hr to closest small hardware store.

jimman

If the local AHJ does not perform due diligence, then file a complaint with the Code Officials Qualification Board. Inspectors must play by certain rules also, and many contractors will not complain because most contractors do not want to get on the bad side of an Inspector. They can not single you out for any infraction and let someone else get away with it. They usually don't want, or don't know how to proceed. An electrical inspector does not have to have any electrical experience to get a certificate! Oh and by the way, Inspectors in NC are personally liable for up to $40,000 for negligence. IMO, knowing an unlicensed person performed the work, and just letting the HO obtain a permit in negligence.

satcom

Boy I wish I worked in your state. We can take any up front on service work!

When you go to a fast food place don't they ask you to pay up front before you get your food?

It sure sounds like the laws your talking about can not be inforced. sounds like they are singleing out contractors, a law that is not balanced is not valid. The scales of justice.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would agree but I don't know what can be really done about it. Many contractors of course do not abide but when you have a complaint that is when they get you. The Laws in CA for contracting are so onesided it's pitiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.