Please help! Couplings in a service mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

JODell

The Dekald County, Ga. Inspection division is failing one of our jobs because my guy used a coupling in the service mast above the roofline.
While it is not the greatest looking way to do it, I can find nothing in the code or in the local knowledge that says I can't have it.
Anyon ever heard of this? Can you tell me an article and section, cause the Dekalb Co. Inspector can't.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the inspector. 230.28 requires that the raceway be of adequate strength to support the drop. The threads are a weak point in the raceway so it becomes his interpretation of that rule what is adequate to support the load. You won't find it spelled out directly in the NEC but I would agree with the inspector.

Welcome to the forum. :)

mivey

Flip the mast or find a different support method.

Couplings above roofline are a no-no unless you are not going to use it for support.

iwire

Staff member
The coupling is not what makes it illegal, the coupling with no guy wire attached, is where the line is drawn.

Interesting, where can I find that in the NEC?

Guy wire or not the NEC require that coupling to be 'identified for use with service masts'. See 230.28

That may be your local power company specification but every power company is different.
:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this mast were on my house I certainly wouldn't want a guy wire added because someone put the coupling on the top of the 10' length of RMC instead of the bottom. :roll:

mivey

If this mast were on my house I certainly wouldn't want a guy wire added because someone put the coupling on the top of the 10' length of RMC instead of the bottom. :roll:
Then I guess you'll have to settle for a nice, decorative support brace. :grin:

iwire

Staff member

I agree, I will also add that of the few mast services I have done I have never had to install guy wires and I would not want to.

Full stick on the top, pressure connector at the meter to deal with the unthreaded cut section.

mcclary's electrical

I've never done it either, and I wouldn't. I'm just saying that, the coupling did not make this illegal as everybody was jumping on that band wagon at first. Just because I offer an alternative, does not mean it is one that i would do.

RICK NAPIER

I agree that with the coupling the mast lacks adequate strength but I have seen this remedied by mounting unistrut to the roof with guy wires and the conduit strapped to the unistrut.

Chasman

Our local POCO has specific instructions in their installation manual on this situation. 2" GRC must be used if the mast pentrates the roof or is used for support of the service drop. No couplings are allowed above the roof line.

Status
Not open for further replies.