Wireless smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on an old 2 story house. The owner wants to install smoke detectors on both floors. I can wire a AFCI circuit realitively easy to the first floor bedroom to power the first unit. Can I use wireless smoke detectors elsewhere? I have read that Kidde makes such a system.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Has kiddie relased it yet?
It should be approved for that purpose in a remodel as that is what it was desigd for.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thanks.
I heard that these may be able to inter-connect with homeautomation systems?

elohr46

I am working on an old 2 story house. The owner wants to install smoke detectors on both floors. I can wire a AFCI circuit realitively easy to the first floor bedroom to power the first unit. Can I use wireless smoke detectors elsewhere? I have read that Kidde makes such a system.

Wireless SD are being used in my area by most EC, but every township has not approved them. Check the local codes first.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I don't use them because where they are needed, I am not. I just tell the customer they are available via the Internet and let them have at it. State approved Daycare in private homes requires SDs in certain areas and a visit by the State Fire Marshall. They are allowing the use of wireless units.

Security101

I believe you can as long as the hardwired ones are the AC version of this model...

Or you might need just one, with the use of other compatibles - but I'd have to read deeper...

Jim

hurk27

There are three versions or the RF series.
Battery only
Hardwired With battery back up
Hardwired with battery backup and interconnect wire to be used with other regular non-RF three wire Kiddie smokes

To work you can only have one, three wire RF unit installed, after that they can be any combination of non-RF three-wire or hardwired RF or battery RF

But if you plan to use a combo of regular non-RF three wire and RF three wire, you can only use one RF three wire or they will cause false alarms.

They have a series of dip switch's on the back that must be changed to all the same combination. this is similar to remote fan controls.

As a note, don't leave them at the factory setting, or a neighbor's smoke might set them off when his goes off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.