230 volt convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me begin by saying that I am a licensed Home Inspector and I enjoy and learn alot from reading these various forums. My question is I have an opportunity to buy an Industrial Compressor. Rolair-5hp motor 80 gallon vertical tank. However its wired as 3 phase 230 volts. I have 200amp service in my home. Is there such a thing as a convertor box to change the wiring to 220 volts? Or what are my other options? If there is such a thing where would I obtain it and how much (ballpark)? Would I need a licensed Electrician to install it? (I'm thinking yes, I'll stick with replacing wall outlets)
Thanks in advance for your help.
Chuck

mcclary's electrical

Let me begin by saying that I am a licensed Home Inspector and I enjoy and learn alot from reading these various forums. My question is I have an opportunity to buy an Industrial Compressor. Rolair-5hp motor 80 gallon vertical tank. However its wired as 3 phase 230 volts. I have 200amp service in my home. Is there such a thing as a convertor box to change the wiring to 220 volts? Or what are my other options? If there is such a thing where would I obtain it and how much (ballpark)? Would I need a licensed Electrician to install it? (I'm thinking yes, I'll stick with replacing wall outlets)
Thanks in advance for your help.
Chuck

The voltage is not the problem, the problem is that you have a three phase compressor, and a single phase service. You would need an inverter to run that motor on household power. Yes, it would need to be wired by a licensed electrician. The inverter would get fed from your panel, then the inverter would feed the compressor. Unless you're getting the compressor for nothing, it is probably not gonna be worth it to you.

norcal

Change the motor to a 240 V single Phase motor or don't get the compressor

That is IMO, your best choice as a rotory phase converter or a VFD will cost more then buying a single phase replacement motor,prices will vary from vendor to vendor & depends on make & if you were to go for buying a cheap quality ChiCom motor or not.

JODell

Phase-a-matic

Phase-a-matic

Phase-a-matic, a solid state unit, is a pretty cheap, and in my experience, very reliable alternative. I have installed quite a few and they work beautifully.
They run about $250

mcclary's electrical

Don't compressors have unloader valves for exactly that reason?

Sure they do, in theory,. They work great on big compressors.but not the cheap ones, by the time most compressors make two turns, it's backed up again. Big commercial compressors won't load for 4-5 seconds of starting, but these smaller ones aren't that sophisticated.

Status
Not open for further replies.