Ground Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeshesh

logical fallacy

logical fallacy

I could see how in the far load side in residentials some of you may not be worried, but those of us who deal only with commercial/industrial application may want to tread more carefully.

Why not put in 2 EGCs along with the metallic raceway....3 for PVC?
You can never get too much sleep, right?

I hope you're just trying to be amusing because if the EGC is sized correctly running 2 or 3 per PVC actually crosses the line from a smart-alec comment into a dumb idea. Redundancy vs. cost is an important part of proper engineering and while sticking to minimal requirements in cases of really small installations may cause customer satisfaction, I can tell you as a matter of fact that some of our larger scale customer (personally I can name Boeing BSS, NortropGrumman, Raytheon and several AFBs in california) would rather pay a bit more extra and have proper implementation.

220/221

Ground wire has been required here since the mid 80's.

I thought it was an NEC thing until I started reading the electrician message boards

celtic

I could see how in the far load side in residentials some of you may not be worried, but those of us who deal only with commercial/industrial application may want to tread more carefully.

I hope you're just trying to be amusing because if the EGC is sized correctly running 2 or 3 per PVC actually crosses the line from a smart-alec comment into a dumb idea. Redundancy vs. cost is an important part of proper engineering and while sticking to minimal requirements in cases of really small installations may cause customer satisfaction, I can tell you as a matter of fact that some of our larger scale customer (personally I can name Boeing BSS, NortropGrumman, Raytheon and several AFBs in california) would rather pay a bit more extra and have proper implementation.

????

So a minimum standard is not "proper implementation"?

My point was: Where does one draw the line?
Tossing an EGC into a conduit run to enjoy a better night's sleep defies logic....as detailed by others in this thread ~ are the conn/coups made up correctly, lugs terminated to torque values, etc.

skeshesh

Not really

Not really

"Proper implementation" is one that satisfies proper engineering, which includes the NEC minimum req, as well as client satisfaction, reasonable compliance with contractor to get the job done as simply+effeciently as possible, value engineering, etc. etc. Where I draw the line is when I feel like I have a good balance between each component of this equation.

And just to clarify, I didn't make the comment about not sleeping, since I can't really sleep more than 4 hours a night and when I do get around to it I crash like I'm dead :grin:

celtic

I didn't have worries a few years ago, but its taking a toll man. Another 5-10 years like this and I'll look like you're profile avatar picture :grin:

banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

LOL

skeshesh

well then you can fill in for LT. Barkley when the next Star Trec movie comes out

Not a Star Trec fan so I'll assume that was an insult and cry about it as I go to sleep :confused: But honestly I dunno how you people've done it for a lifetime. Again I must restate my firm belief that EVERY electrical engineering student should have to go through 6 months of field work so they know what they're getting themselves into (luckily I'm a guy with a decently firm constitution and a sick addiction for code so I think I'll pull through but I feel for the rest of the poor fellaz)

iwire

Staff member
I could see how in the far load side in residential some of you may not be worried, but those of us who deal only with commercial/industrial application may want to tread more carefully.

Oh yeah, I remember that, electricity is more dangerous in commercial/industrial applications. :grin:

I think you should realize that most of us work commercial.

I hope you're just trying to be amusing because if the EGC is sized correctly running 2 or 3 per PVC actually crosses the line from a smart-alec comment into a dumb idea.

I agree with Celtic, if you think redundancy is necessary for a safe installation with metal conduits then surly redundancy is needed for safe installations with non-metallic wiring methods.

I can tell you as a matter of fact that some of our larger scale customer (personally I can name Boeing BSS, NortropGrumman, Raytheon and several AFBs in california) would rather pay a bit more extra and have proper implementation.

Name dropper. :grin::roll:

First no one said it might not be in the specs and if the customer wants it then the customer gets it. But it is not required by the NEC and it is not unsafe to follow the NEC requirements.

One last thing I would point out is that 'proper implementation' is entirely subjective. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.