Estimating Tips and Technics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the specs or specifications,to know what type of wiring method you are allowed to used.What devices,plates,ect..what procedures or guide lines for the paper work, RFI's, Billing, Ect......
Then the luminaires,distribution equipment,Ect for quotes and availability and such.

mcclary's electrical

Read the specs or specifications,to know what type of wiring method you are allowed to used.What devices,plates,ect..what procedures or guide lines for the paper work, RFI's, Billing, Ect......
Then the luminaires,distribution equipment,Ect for quotes and availability and such.

Is this a hypothetical situation or what?

nakulak

5) talking to my guy on the inside and finding out what the job is going for to see if I'm wasting my time or not

Estimating Precedures

Estimating Precedures

As we all know when you are a small business owner you wear many hats, Just wanted to start a thread on the precedures and technics that as an estimator you would use. That way everybody learns different ways and if needed learns a couple of tricks?

Just trying to start a thread on estimating technics or know how. Just for people to give inside on their ways of estimating and experiences.

tyha

Before you even do the takeoff you need to know what type of estimate you are going to do. Because if you dont how are you going to know what the heck to count. Are you going to unit price everything are you going to measure the home runs, do you have a method of piecing parts together and associating a cost and time. Do you know what your burden labor rate will be (are you even going to use it). There is a plethora of info you need to get together before you even begin. Alot of it depends on what type of project you are going after and do you have much exp at completing or even estimating it.

Before you even do the takeoff you need to know what type of estimate you are going to do. Because if you dont how are you going to know what the heck to count. Are you going to unit price everything are you going to measure the home runs, do you have a method of piecing parts together and associating a cost and time. Do you know what your burden labor rate will be (are you even going to use it). There is a plethora of info you need to get together before you even begin. Alot of it depends on what type of project you are going after and do you have much exp at completing or even estimating it.
This is purely about estimating techniques and tips.
I understand, the other aspects of being an contractor.
You can not have an accurate estimate without knowing your cost, you can not accuratley bid if you do not know your break even cost and you can not run a successful and profitable business without a business plan.

satcom

Just trying to start a thread on estimating technics or know how. Just for people to give inside on their ways of estimating and experiences.

All this information is already out there, this site has it for sale in books or digital format, if you open it up for discussion, you will get a lot of scewed information, that will not serve to inform anyone.

Power Tech

Okay, here it is.

The bigest unknown factor is labor. How qualified, motivated, strong. A no goof off, good forman to coordinate, push and keep the men in line.

It dosn't take a collage grad to add up, and get prices for everything.

Even though finding a supplier to give you great prices, and to know great prices.

So it is not all computers and clicking the mouse and adding up runs over 6' high.

I personally think a tall electrician should make more.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.