Types of conductors in Cable Trays

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Have you reviewed Article 392 in the NEC?

This Article has the requirements for cable tray.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there any NFPA/NEC code for the types of conductors in cable trays? Currently we see 480 3phase conductors in wire mesh trays on our machines. Outside of durability of wire mess tray is there a code reference against using 480 in wire mesh baskets?

There is a key phrase there. if it is actually part of the machine, it is probably not covered by the NEC.

If the thing is identified as a cable tray its a cable tray, regardless of construction (article 392 does not require a cable tray to be listed, only identified). And AFAIK, there are no limitations on voltage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

After reading and re-reading article 392 and NEMA refrences it looks like just my general dislike of this type of tray in factory enviroments may be reason to not allow it.

Thanks again

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for the responses.

After reading and re-reading article 392 and NEMA refrences it looks like just my general dislike of this type of tray in factory enviroments may be reason to not allow it.

Thanks again

If it is part of the machine, you probably will have to get your preference put into the bid specs.

The people paying for the machine may not appreciate the added cost. It always amazes me how much extra cost for what looks like a simple change can add up to.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Type TC Cable

Type TC Cable

Haven't done trays lately, but I think type TC cable is the only power cable approved for cable trays. Separate trays can carry data & low voltage cables of different types. The photo looks like data cables to me. All the TC cable we use to run was black, never saw any blue or yellow. I saw lots of yellow SJ type cord for hoist controls, etc. Yellow was an extremely heavy duty jacket, something like STO or STOW, etc. Never saw any in blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.