damp location space heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

danger30

I've got an underground valve vault I'm trying to provide some freeze protection in, and I'm having a difficult time finding a "damp location" heater. (EI is enforcing it) If I install heat trace it will have to meet job specs, which will cost about 2200.00. A space heater would be a much easier and cheaper option, and the customer is fine with it. Anybody have any ideas?

benaround

I've got an underground valve vault I'm trying to provide some freeze protection in, and I'm having a difficult time finding a "damp location" heater. (EI is enforcing it) If I install heat trace it will have to meet job specs, which will cost about 2200.00. A space heater would be a much easier and cheaper option, and the customer is fine with it. Anybody have any ideas?

Wouldn't the heater take the 'dampness' out of the location ? Without more info, are you

close enough to thr vault to 'duct' the heat in from a dry location, using the less $$$ heater

Power Tech

Perhaps a combination of heaters and fans.

Just thought, would a bathroom heat/fan work? If you have a vent you could even use the exhaust fan.

Put on a line thermostat.

Granger has the humidistat you could put in line also.

danger30

The AHJ has deemed the area a damp location, so it must be listed and labeled for such location. This is the problem I'm having. I can find outdoor rated heaters, which are obviously rated for damp environments, but none for such a relatively small space. (4' X 5' X 4') I am contemplating installing a WP GFCI with in-use cover on a bell box and telling the inspector the customer is planning on using a corded style heat trace. Personally, I'd rather not go down that road. I might end up biting the bullet and installing the spec'd heat tracing.

kwired

Electron manager
washdown rated heater

washdown rated heater

Grainger has washdown rated heaters both large and small.

However cost on some of the smaller heaters is close to what you said trace heating may cost. There is a 500 watt 120 volt stainless baseboard 28 inch long with NEMA 4X junction box for around $1200.

Many of them appear to be stainless steel still may be worth looking in to.

Last edited:

buldogg

The AHJ has deemed the area a damp location, so it must be listed and labeled for such location. This is the problem I'm having. I can find outdoor rated heaters, which are obviously rated for damp environments, but none for such a relatively small space. (4' X 5' X 4') I am contemplating installing a WP GFCI with in-use cover on a bell box and telling the inspector the customer is planning on using a corded style heat trace. Personally, I'd rather not go down that road. I might end up biting the bullet and installing the spec'd heat tracing.

Why does the spec'd heat trace cost $2200 for such a small area?

M. D.

20 square feet ,.. throw in a couple of 500 watt quartz lights,... and a weather proof tstat if you need an indicator use a photo cell and a normally open set of contacts to turn one on

e57

The Electrical Inspector is enforcing the heating/freeze protection of the "Valve Vault"? (Sounds like a plumbing problem to me...) If so, I would fight that - up front... Or is he just sticking to it being damp? If the design of the vault did not include this, then it is a CO - charge whatever you like... I would assume anything made for the purpose would be damp rated. And putting lights and or conditioning the space with heaters may not be all that effective or reliable.

e57

I am contemplating installing a WP GFCI with in-use cover on a bell box and telling the inspector the customer is planning on using a corded style heat trace. Personally, I'd rather not go down that road. I might end up biting the bullet and installing the spec'd heat tracing.
I'm confused - did you miss this on the bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.