Do you have problems with your local codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappa doc

I've been reading this website for a while now and I'd say half the time someone fails an inspection it's because of some local code. Not even in the NEC. Wouldn't things be alot easier for everyone if all the jurisidictions were on the same page.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I've been reading this website for a while now and I'd say half the time someone fails an inspection it's because of some local code. Not even in the NEC. Wouldn't things be alot easier for everyone if all the jurisidictions were on the same page.

Yes. I am glad Ohio handled this back in 2006.

TobyD

That makes perfect sence too me .It's hard to teach someone the code when there are so many variables from different municipalites.

Minuteman

They just passed a law here to get all the jurisdiction on the same cycle. I was at a meeting where they said that some AHJ's here are still in older cycles. One place still uses the '86. Even though the state approved the '08 in July of 2008. So now, there is a committee that is working at bringing them all into the current cycle. All that being said, the AHJ's can still amend as they choose.

I have more patience with a written amendment/supplement. What bothers me is the places that have the "word-of-mouth" codes.

480sparky

ISTR reading that Chicago was still on NEC 19-early with -lots- of local amendments, and that there was pretty much a single copy of the original code book in a Board member's office. What's the real deal on this?

Is it eaither one of these?

45-1913_Chicago.jpg

51-1930_Chicago.jpg

iMuse97

ISTR reading that Chicago was still on NEC 19-early with -lots- of local amendments, and that there was pretty much a single copy of the original code book in a Board member's office. What's the real deal on this?

Chicago does not use the NEC. Chicago uses the Chicago Electric Code, and most of the suburbs in Cook County and some other outlying counties follow that code in some fashion or another. It is really amazing the variations within the metro. area.

Here is a link to the publisher. YOU can have your VERY OWN copy for the special price of $135.00.

http://www.lawbulletin.com/real-estate/index-publishing/chicago-electrical-code

BTW, I would prefer the NEC be adopted statewide in IL. But it won't happen. Politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

macmikeman

One more thing. Even if the NEC is adopted with no ammendments there will still be some cowboy inspectors who like to put their own polish on things as it were. Human nature perhaps. Gets a bit tough at times.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Chicago does not use the NEC. Chicago uses the Chicago Electric Code, and most of the suburbs in Cook County and some other outlying counties follow that code in some fashion or another. It is really amazing the variations within the metro. area.

Here is a link to the publisher. YOU can have your VERY OWN copy for the special price of $135.00.

http://www.lawbulletin.com/real-estate/index-publishing/chicago-electrical-code

BTW, I would prefer the NEC be adopted statewide in IL. But it won't happen. Politics.

You can't blame recent politicians (as much as it sounds like a good idea) for Chicago's code. It goes back to the 'great fire'.

I wish the entire country would follow Chicago's code. I would rather pipe a house and get paid for all my work than rope one.

I did a couple Habitat houses up here and we piped them. At first, what a pain, but as I got the hang of it I started liking it.

I have found that an effective means to assure compliance is to contact the AHJ before doing any work in that jurisdiction and simply ask them what code they are using, what they like to see, what they look for, what is important, etc. Some inspectors in smaller locals have 'hit lists' which involve a page or two of items to be checked on every job. I have had them give me copies for free just for the asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

M. D.

In Massachusetts rule #3 is worded such that it prohibits addressing the existing violation

Additions or modifications to an existing installation shall be made in accordance
with this Code without bringing the remaining part of the installation into compliance with the requirements of this Code......

Silly ,..I know ,..and I can't imagine anyone getting a red tag for eliminating an existing violation ,.. but there it is in black and white.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
It would be easier if the local codes were just relaxations of the NEC. Here in WA, we have some in regards to wiring methods for pools/spas. Other palces recind the AFCI and tamper proof rules. If you follow the NEC, you'll exceed code and perhaps overcharge the customer (so you'll need to know these to effectively bid).

But the NEC is too incomplete to not have local codes. Many of the local codes we have here are to clarify things left open to interpretation in the NEC (e.g. how far can service conductors go inside a building -- it is 15' here, 3' other places, but NEC just says "nearest the point of entry" which is rather vague).

e57

I only have one real beef with one of my local codes - but not because I don't know it - because everyone else does not.

In SF high-legs are purple...

M. D.

I only have one real beef with one of my local codes - but not because I don't know it - because everyone else does not.

In SF high-legs are purple...

San Fran,..... purple high legs ,.. not even gonna touch that one ,..

cpal

In Massachusetts rule #3 is worded such that it prohibits addressing the existing violation

Silly ,..I know ,..and I can't imagine anyone getting a red tag for eliminating an existing violation ,.. but there it is in black and white.

Why is that one silly??

patsy

im in new jersey and thats all ways the problem i do one thing in one town and pass and the next town over it fails its like you have to call the town and ask how do u want this job done

M. D.

Why is that one silly??

because it says yes you can add or change ,.. but do it without bringing the remaining part of the installation into compliance . So if I wanted to ,... lets say add the proper support to the existing wiring method while I'm adding or modifying it ,..this actually says that I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.