tamperprf outlet recept. in all living spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

In the cicumstance that you were adding to an existing circuit, the combo device would act as the 1st outlet on line having overcurrent prot. protecting the additional outlets. I wonder if that outlet device box containing the AFCI combo device would have to be metal, and be no need for any metal conduit or cable..

HR

hurk27

In the cicumstance that you were adding to an existing circuit, the combo device would act as the 1st outlet on line having overcurrent prot. protecting the additional outlets. I wonder if that outlet device box containing the AFCI combo device would have to be metal, and be no need for any metal conduit or cable..

HR

Only the breakers in the panels will provide overcurrent protection, outlet type AFCI, or receptacle type GFCI's do not provide overcurrent protection.

As a side note, Indiana has removed 210.12, as well as the requirments for the TP receptacles, and has kept the exceptions for the GFCI's.

What state are you in?

iwire

Staff member

HR

No, you would have to run steel from the panel to the AFCI device, there is no way around that, and as Hurk mentioned the over current protection is provided at the panel.

howardrichman

Thanks for replies; I assumed it being called a combo device, that it would be breaker/AFCI, but I guess its a recepticle/AFCI, and still need a breaker in a panel to qualify. I live in Central Jersey, and still no AFCI device, but most carry breaker.

Thanks again;
HR

Status
Not open for further replies.