tamperprf outlet recept. in all living spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

Just curious; Are residential hallways,garages,and basaments exempt from this code change? Art. 406.11 which makes reference to art.210.52. All living space (single and multi) will be required to use tamperproof duplex recepticles. I'm not sure if single dedicated outlets are applicatable, and if a single/TP dev. is available. If have info; please reply. Also, What additional locations of 2008 are ground fault Protection devices required at this time? thanks;
Howard Richman

Last edited:

iMuse97

Yes, you can get TR Mono recepts. and "dedicated" outlets are req. to be TR if they are located in areas requiring TR recepts.
TR recepts are required in garages, hallways, etc. because these areas are listed in 210.52.

For dwelling units: GFCI protection is required in all the places it was in O5 book but there are almost no exceptions
for this now (ie. in the garage even the recept. for the door opener must have GFCI protection, and your sump in the crawlspace, too,
and your freezer recept in the garage.) In addition, any receptacle installed for any reason within 6' of a sink in must have GFCI protection.

For other than dwelling units: [can be summarized as]GFCI protection shall be required where public access is possible, or where dangers are probable.
All recepts in commercial kitchens installed for whatever reason, serving whatever load.

The exceptions (for dwellings or not) are generally limited to deicing equipment and fire alarm power.

In addition, in supervised industrial settings, some exceptions are permitted.

BTW Gus, if HR knows about 406.11, he has access to an 08 NEC. :)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
imuse, you are correct, and HR, I apologize. No excuse, but I just finished a week of "electricians" (without Code books) asking me if I "can tell what changed in '08". This after a number of us inspectors volunteered our time to teach free classes.
I'm at MH to learn and also to pass along what little knowledge I have. I failed to do so in this case....HR just happened to hit a raw nerve :)
my apology

howardrichman

Well; 2008 NEC; 210.52A (dwelling unit recepticle outlets), General Provisions lists general living and similar spaces, but not until later in this article sa: 210.52F,G,and H; does it state those requiremennts for laundry,basement,hallways, and garage area's. I guess it got me confused those other than living spaces are required where not initially listed in 210.52A. I do own a 2008 handbook, and some listings are not easy as others to find, esp.,needing to cross reference other articles to recieve an accurate answer for a given code in present searce. The handbook opened up an additional interest for me to learn the code accurately.

Thanks for reply;
HR

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
It might help to look at it something like an organizational chart. 406.11 references 210.52 (as opposed to 210.52 A or 210.52 G) therefore it references everything in 210.52, Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets
from A through H.
Often your first section applies to everything and subsections supplement or modify the General requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For dwelling units: GFCI protection is required in all the places it was in O5 book but there are almost no exceptions
for this now (ie. in the garage even the recept. for the door opener must have GFCI protection, and your sump in the crawlspace, too,
and your freezer recept in the garage.) In addition, any receptacle installed for any reason within 6' of a sink in must have GFCI protection.

iMuse is correct that the 2008 NEC has removed the exceptions for GFCI protection. One note to Howard, in New Jersey these exceptions are still part of the 2008 NEC and have not been removed. The adopted 2008 NEC contains a local amendment that keeps the 2005 exception intact.

howardrichman

It might help to look at it something like an organizational chart. 406.11 references 210.52 (as opposed to 210.52 A or 210.52 G) therefore it references everything in 210.52, Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets
from A through H.
Often your first section applies to everything and subsections supplement or modify the General requirements.

The 1st section which should refer to everything it does; and include hallways,garage,and bsmnt in (A) General provisions. (Similar room or area) still seems to refer to living spaces. But I do know what your saying, it still referes to the whole art.A-G. I'd be a good question to throw at a local inspector.
Thanks again;
HR

howardrichman

Well; I guess this also applies to 210.12(AFCI) protection which states the same required area's that tamperproof outlets are for dwelling units 120V, and protection required in other areas other than living spaces of a dwelling unit.

HR

Last edited:

howardrichman

since i cant edit this message I'l just add; I've noticed that Hallways and closets are included in this article. Are AFCI breakers made to include GFI protection?

iwire

Staff member
since i cant edit this message I'l just add; I've noticed that Hallways and closets are included in this article. Are AFCI breakers made to include GFI protection?

All AFCI devices contain GFP which is close but not the same as GFCI.

Any area that requires both AFCI and GFCI protection at this point in time will require an AFCI breaker and a GFCI device of some type.

howardrichman

In reading the article 210.12requirement of AFCI for dwelling units for protection of outlets of specific rooms or similar areas; I see that kitchens, bathrooms, unfinished basements,garages and outdoors are all exempt from AFCI protection, but allowed. Is that accurate?

HR

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
It is. When all is said and done, there are very few receptacle outlets that are not either AFCI or GFCI protested.

howardrichman

according to 210.12 ex.1 A combo/AFCI is allowed to the 1st outlet of a branch circut if wired in these conduit types; RMC,IMC,EMT,or steel armored cable,type AC. No supply house yet has any knowledge of this combo device; and I'm not sure why I would need this (combo device) acting as a circuit breaker also, if they'll have to be a circuit breaker in the distribution panel of this given circuit. Also would the statement in ex.1(steel armored cable) pertain to no MC or aluminum AC even meeting req. of 250.118 pertaining to their grounding conductors?

Thanks again for replies:
HR

iwire

Staff member
HR no manufacturer has released an AFCI device yet but they are working on them.

Steel means steel, you would have to use steel MC if you wanted to use MC.

If you where adding to an existing circuit, or trying to add a circuit to a home with a panel that no AFCI breaker was available for the AFCI device would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.